Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,380 times

Advertisements

I remember those. Darn, aging myself again. I said something about Pete Seeger to one of the ladies at work last week, and she said, "Who?" I said, "You know, the Weavers."
"Who?"
"The Limeliters, maybe?"
"Who?"
"Peter, Paul and Mary?"
"Who?"
"Bob Dylan?"
"Oh, yeah!"

I swear, it's a cultural wasteland. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:57 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,218 times
The Cynical Idealist

Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
Haunted Montana

Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I finished Max and the Cats. Life of Pi was "based on" a portion of Max and the Cats and maybe it was because Max and the Cats had no real "meat" (it's a very slim book), it just didn't do it for me. Life of Pi, on the other hand, well, we know that book REALLY worked for me.

I just read a few pages of Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. I think I'm going to like this one a lot. I hope so! I'm looking forward to the workday (and dinner) being over with so that I can get to it! That's a good sign.
Now you've officially become the first person I know who has read both - did you find many/any obvious similarities between the two?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 PM

I tried reading the weirdest book - Buffalo Woman Comes Singing by Brooke Medicine Eagle. I had ordered it from Amazon and I thought it was going to be some Indian-growing up story. It is a New Agey story, not my thing at all.

Instead the author talks about the Shinela tribe which she claims borders the Crow Reservation in Montana. I've never heard of the Shinela, so I Googled it and came up - empty. She talks about Lone Deer as a place name, so I Googled that too and came up - empty.

Then I Googled the author and came up with a Wikipedia entry that states she is not Native and that she never lived on the Crow Reservation, and that she allegedly forged papers saying otherwise.

The book is an old one, pre-Google. Am I crazy paranoid wondering if the author made up a so-called Shinela tribe? Has anyone heard of a Shinela tribe or a Lone Deer? I believe there is a Lame Deer in Montana.

Conveniently fitting into the Wikipedia entry, she claims to follow the Rainbow path, which would certainly be a good cover for someone who is not familiar with specific tribal customs.

I hate it when a book makes makes me feel like I am reading it under the influence of something I shouldn't be taking.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Now you've officially become the first person I know who has read both - did you find many/any obvious similarities between the two?
The part with him on the boat with -- in this case -- a jaguar was similar but it was such a small part (it's really a very short book, just over 100 pages) and had no real details like Life of Pi did. Life of Pi was a FAR superior story. FAR.

Honestly, I don't recommend reading Max and the Cats. Its only appeal was because of Life of Pi, and it proved to be a disappointment.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:44 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,289 times

Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I read two consecutive 9/11-related books last week: 102 Minutes, and Covering Catastrophe (stories from the reporters who were at the attacks sites that day). After that, I needed something light and mindless, so I read Dan Brown's Lost Symbol. That was a pretty good read, entertaining and fast.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just read a few pages of Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. I think I'm going to like this one a lot. I hope so! I'm looking forward to the workday (and dinner) being over with so that I can get to it! That's a good sign.
Oh my gosh, it seems that the first few pages of Let the Great World Spin are the only pages that aren't a struggle. I got to about page 45 and realized that if I had to read another 300 to get to the end, my head would explode clean off my neck. So, yeah, I'm giving up.

I'll probably start on Forever by Pete Hamill tonight.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I read two consecutive 9/11-related books last week: 102 Minutes, and Covering Catastrophe (stories from the reporters who were at the attacks sites that day). After that, I needed something light and mindless, so I read Dan Brown's Lost Symbol. That was a pretty good read, entertaining and fast.
Now that I believe. I've watched several specials on 9/11 on TV, including recently a documentary on the received telephone calls from people stuck in the towers. I needed light and mindless for a while after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books