Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 11:30 AM

87,809 posts, read 83,516,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh my gosh, it seems that the first few pages of Let the Great World Spin are the only pages that aren't a struggle. I got to about page 45 and realized that if I had to read another 300 to get to the end, my head would explode clean off my neck. So, yeah, I'm giving up.

I'll probably start on Forever by Pete Hamill tonight.
Good story. Enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 AM

87,809 posts, read 83,516,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Now that I believe. I've watched several specials on 9/11 on TV, including recently a documentary on the received telephone calls from people stuck in the towers. I needed light and mindless for a while after that.
Yes, there are a lot of good books out there on 9/11--factual stuff from different viewpoints, not the conspiracy bs types of books.

I am a survivor from the WTC, so it's always with me, but not until the past couple of years did I start to watch the specials and read some of the books. I also am part of the 9/11 community that does activities and walking tours for the WTC Tribute Center, and we have speakers come from time to time. In November I heard Lynn Spencer speak, a Continental pilot who interviewed commercial and military pilots who were in the air that day. It was fascinating, and I plan to read her book, Touching History, in the near future. But, for now I'll take a break and go for the mindless--currently reading one of Phillippa Gregory's not-quite-historical-fiction books.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:57 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,214,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh my gosh, it seems that the first few pages of Let the Great World Spin are the only pages that aren't a struggle. I got to about page 45 and realized that if I had to read another 300 to get to the end, my head would explode clean off my neck. So, yeah, I'm giving up.

I'll probably start on Forever by Pete Hamill tonight.
I feel your pain re Great World. I hate myself for finishing. Of course I loved Forever.. How could I not? It's Pete Hamill.

I've decided not read another Led Zeppelin bio. My book on Freddy Mercury arrived. The movie on Freddy is now in the works. I was ready to start Jitterbug Perfume and what to my wondering eyes should appear at the library but Sunset Park. I was into it after a few pages. Also, have ordered a bio on Edith Piaf, the French chanteuse from the thirties.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good story. Enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I feel your pain re Great World. I hate myself for finishing. Of course I loved Forever.. How could I not? It's Pete Hamill.

I've decided not read another Led Zeppelin bio. My book on Freddy Mercury arrived. The movie on Freddy is now in the works. I was ready to start Jitterbug Perfume and what to my wondering eyes should appear at the library but Sunset Park. I was into it after a few pages. Also, have ordered a bio on Edith Piaf, the French chanteuse from the thirties.
Oooh, good to hear that about Forever! Thanks!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:54 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,788,851 times
War Day and the Journey Onwards by Whitley Strieber and Jim Kunetka. Very unusual in that while it's a story of post apocalypse USA it's written by the two authors as the main characters in a documentary style.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:07 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
I'm 3/4 through Methland by Nick Reding. It's nonfiction, interesting and well written but the editing leaves something to be desired. The editing is not horrible it's just poor enough to catch my eye and interrupt my reading from time to time.

The author uses a few "big" words and I like that. It allows me to feel challenged as I look them up.

Next up will be Snow in August by Pete Hamill. Can't wait to start it. I decided to wait to read his autobiography A Drinking Life because I'm not in the mood.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:10 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Good story. Enjoy it.
Oh my gosh, you're right -- Forever by Pete Hamill is GREAT so far. I'm loving it. I know that with everything else going on (such as work and trying to sell our house) that it'll take me longer than it should to get through all 600+ pages, but I plan to enjoy the journey.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:44 AM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Quote:
Yes, there are a lot of good books out there on 9/11--factual stuff from different viewpoints, not the conspiracy bs types of books.

I am a survivor from the WTC, so it's always with me, but not until the past couple of years did I start to watch the specials and read some of the books. I also am part of the 9/11 community that does activities and walking tours for the WTC Tribute Center, and we have speakers come from time to time. In November I heard Lynn Spencer speak, a Continental pilot who interviewed commercial and military pilots who were in the air that day. It was fascinating, and I plan to read her book, Touching History, in the near future. But, for now I'll take a break and go for the mindless--currently reading one of Phillippa Gregory's not-quite-historical-fiction books.

I haven't read any of the 9/11 books yet. One thing that I've noticed over the years whenever they have a special on revisiting 9/11, is that it immediately sends me to the mental place I was in on 9/11 - sitting in front of the TV without moving or speaking, quite unable to believe what I was seeing was happening. It's a visceral shock each and every time.

A friend of ours covered it for a German news organisation and he said what no one talked about on TV was the smell.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 AM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
It's SNOWING again. The dogs did a very comical double-take this morning when they saw the snow, and immediately changed their minds about wanting to go out. Longest winter ever! And last night my parents were thinking about sandbagging one of their barns because of overland flooding from a large drainage ditch bordering their property. The culverts are clogged and the water can't run through. So far my father managed to divert some of the water with a neighbour's backhoe, and his own tractor but their fingers are still crossed.

I dug through my bag of books bought from the used book sale, and started reading Third Degree by Greg Illes. The funny thing is that I thought I had read everything he ever wrote, and when I read the cover at the book sale, nothing sounded familiar.

So I'm reading it and it feels a bit familiar but not quite familiar enough. I'm kind of wondering if it is a book I donated to the sale, and I bought my own book back... I guess I will keep reading it until it becomes clear one way or the other whether I have read this book before.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 AM

14,772 posts, read 17,010,834 times
Wuthering Heights, again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books