Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-18-2011, 02:42 PM
 
3,943 posts, read 6,341,477 times
Reputation: 4232

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It took me forever (no pun intended), but I finally finished Forever by Pete Hamill. Oh my gosh, what an absolutely FABULOUS book. I highly recommend it.

It took me so long because I've been so busy and have had a million things going on. I'd stare at the book longingly, wanting to read it. And I would, but I was so tired at the end of the day, I could only keep my eyes open for a short while.

Sigh... I wish that the book went on for an additional 600 pages. It's an amazing, incredible, wonderful story.

Next up: The Art of Racing the Rain by Garth Stein. I know that I'll cry through it, but not as much as I'm crying that Forever by Pete Hamill is finished.
I'm glad to hear this as I bought it at my book sale Saturday. It really didn't look that good to me, but I had read what you guys had written on here about it, so I got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I'm glad to hear this as I bought it at my book sale Saturday. It really didn't look that good to me, but I had read what you guys had written on here about it, so I got it.
Oh, Jess, it's totally not my type of book. Fantasy? No, thanks. History? Uhh, I'll pass, thanks.

But, oh, there are no words... it's a terrific book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2011, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
1,802 posts, read 8,134,146 times
Reputation: 1974
Reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett for my book group. I'm starting to think there's something wrong with me. Most of the books this group is reading are best sellers, yet I've enjoyed very few of them. This one is sort of "meh". The subject has been done and redone, and in most cases much better than here. Mediocre at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2011, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Reputation: 62765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It took me forever (no pun intended), but I finally finished Forever by Pete Hamill. Oh my gosh, what an absolutely FABULOUS book. I highly recommend it.

It took me so long because I've been so busy and have had a million things going on. I'd stare at the book longingly, wanting to read it. And I would, but I was so tired at the end of the day, I could only keep my eyes open for a short while.

Sigh... I wish that the book went on for an additional 600 pages. It's an amazing, incredible, wonderful story.

Next up: The Art of Racing the Rain by Garth Stein. I know that I'll cry through it, but not as much as I'm crying that Forever by Pete Hamill is finished.
I'm so glad to hear about "Forever", Dawn. I started it a week or so ago and could not get into it. I didn't get very far. I'll give it another shot.

Hi Jess. I'm so happy to "see" you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2011, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm so glad to hear about "Forever", Dawn. I started it a week or so ago and could not get into it. I didn't get very far. I'll give it another shot.

Hi Jess. I'm so happy to "see" you.
Really?? I'm so surprised, especially given your love for Mr. Hamill.

Yes, please do give it another shot. It's really a lovely story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Calgary, Canada
1,163 posts, read 1,227,848 times
Reputation: 1205
"Forever" sounds pretty interesting i might give it a shot too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
"Forever" sounds pretty interesting i might give it a shot too!
Well, now I don't know whether to squeal with glee that I'm turning so many people onto this book ... or feel pressured that you might not love it as much as I did.

It's a seriously terrific book, though. And Ketabcha IS going to like it -- no... LOVE it! -- when she tries to get into it again. I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Calgary, Canada
1,163 posts, read 1,227,848 times
Reputation: 1205
So I just ordered The Book of Awesome and Forever from Chapters...cant wait to start them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Midwestern Dystopia
2,417 posts, read 3,542,630 times
Reputation: 3090
The Winter of Our Discontent by Steinbeck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
87,792 posts, read 83,516,011 times
Reputation: 113808
I just finished reading Game Change about the 2008 elections, mostly about the Obama/Hillary primary, although it also covers John Edwards, and the McCain/Palin mess, mentioning Giuliani and the other also-rans. Pretty interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes. In some ways, it's almost as if these people are still in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top