Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Yeah, so I got to about page 60 of The Art of Racing in the Rain and then realized (a) I really hate all the car racing talk and (b) that Enzo, the dog, is not going to live as long as I am. I couldn't read it. I know that it's supposed to be a terrific and heart-warming story. It's just not for me. I'm girly (hence the hating of the car racing) and I'm a mushy dog-lover (hence the hating that Enzo isn't going to make it).

So I'll start Man Walks Into a Room by Nicole Krauss tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Really?? I'm so surprised, especially given your love for Mr. Hamill.

Yes, please do give it another shot. It's really a lovely story.
I love it. I can't put it down. Thanks for keeping at me to read it. You are so right about it.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I love it. I can't put it down. Thanks for keeping at me to read it. You are so right about it.
YAY!!!!!

It's funny, I chose that one from my "to read" pile because it was the one that I thought I'd like the least. I was hoping that it would be a quick read. Once I started reading, I was hoping that it would take me, well, forever, because I never wanted to stop reading this book.

I'm so happy that you're enjoying it this time around. Sometimes you just need to be in a different mood or head space to get into a particular story.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah, so I got to about page 60 of The Art of Racing in the Rain and then realized (a) I really hate all the car racing talk and (b) that Enzo, the dog, is not going to live as long as I am. I couldn't read it. I know that it's supposed to be a terrific and heart-warming story. It's just not for me. I'm girly (hence the hating of the car racing) and I'm a mushy dog-lover (hence the hating that Enzo isn't going to make it).
After reading your post about The Art of Racing in the Rain I checked it out on Amazon and thought "Oh, no. Something is going to happen to Enzo. I simply can't deal with that book right now." I don't like racing at all and, like you, I love dogs (and cats). I'm afraid to read the book. So, maybe sometime in the future, doubtful, I will read it but I'm not going to right now. I still cry thinking about "Old Yeller" and "The Yearling."

And, after all, I still have the rest of Forever to look forward to....in more ways than one.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
After reading your post about The Art of Racing in the Rain I checked it out on Amazon and thought "Oh, no. Something is going to happen to Enzo. I simply can't deal with that book right now." I don't like racing at all and, like you, I love dogs (and cats). I'm afraid to read the book. So, maybe sometime in the future, doubtful, I will read it but I'm not going to right now. I still cry thinking about "Old Yeller" and "The Yearling."

And, after all, I still have the rest of Forever to look forward to....in more ways than one.
I don't even know what I was thinking, getting The Art of Racing in the Rain. I knew what would happen. I knew I wasn't into car racing. I just bought into the hype. The part that I didn't know is that it's told from Enzo's point of view -- he's the "speaker." I don't do kitschy. Anyway, I already sold the book on Amazon. HA!

Where are you in Forever?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:

So I'll start Man Walks Into a Room by Nicole Krauss tonight.
My sister bought me that book for my birthday when it first came out and I've never read it because I thought exactly the same thing. I don't know what people are thinking giving a dog lover a book about a dog that's going to die. I'm still not over Old Yeller.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
My sister bought me that book for my birthday when it first came out and I've never read it because I thought exactly the same thing. I don't know what people are thinking giving a dog lover a book about a dog that's going to die. I'm still not over Old Yeller.
Even more ridiculous: I bought it for myself.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I don't even know what I was thinking, getting The Art of Racing in the Rain. I knew what would happen. I knew I wasn't into car racing. I just bought into the hype. The part that I didn't know is that it's told from Enzo's point of view -- he's the "speaker." I don't do kitschy. Anyway, I already sold the book on Amazon. HA!

Where are you in Forever?
Not far. They've had the funeral and Robert is learning about his heritage from Da. Loved the funeral. That sounds odd but when I read that I knew the book was going to continue to be exceptional.

I can't believe I had problems with this just after reading about 15 pages. I'm extremely interested in Irish history. I think I was in a bad place when I started it because of some medical feedback I received. I've dealt with that now and the book is calling to me even now.

I really enjoy learning things and Rebecca's stories of the Bible were great to read. Noah's granddaughter....I loved that.

I know he'll move us to NYC and that is another place I love. I have roots there. It's going to be wonderful to learn about NYC and its history.

I just adore Pete Hamill. I'll probably make a scene of some kind if I ever meet him.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Not far. They've had the funeral and Robert is learning about his heritage from Da. Loved the funeral. That sounds odd but when I read that I knew the book was going to continue to be exceptional.

I can't believe I had problems with this just after reading about 15 pages. I'm extremely interested in Irish history. I think I was in a bad place when I started it because of some medical feedback I received. I've dealt with that now and the book is calling to me even now.

I really enjoy learning things and Rebecca's stories of the Bible were great to read. Noah's granddaughter....I loved that.

I know he'll move us to NYC and that is another place I love. I have roots there. It's going to be wonderful to learn about NYC and its history.

I just adore Pete Hamill. I'll probably make a scene of some kind if I ever meet him.
I have chills reading your thoughts.

I'm glad that the medical stuff has been dealt with and that you're OK. That's the important stuff.

You're going to adore the rest of the book, I just know it.

You should email Pete. Is he married?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:56 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I am currently reading the postmistress . I ordered the drs wife off of amazon cause I have been dying to read that anyways cause I know it is old . If anyone has read any of these book please let me know what you thought of them and yeah Im back have not been on this thread for a while .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books