Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 02:27 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Did I tell you that I gave up on Man Walks Into a Room by Nicole Krauss? Well, I did. Honestly, I didn't care if he remembered the 24 missing years or not. Frankly, I wanted to forget the 80 or so pages that I'd already read, so...

Now I'm more than halfway through Incendiary by Chris Cleave. It's roughly written (not a lot of punctuation, etc...) because the whole book is a letter from a woman, presumably not well-educated, to Osama bin Laden after her family is killed in one of his crazies. I found it a bit trying at first, but I'm really enjoying it -- I feel for her and I genuinely like her.

I can't say that every one of you would enjoy it (Ketabcha, you wouldn't, I don't think) but it is an interesting character study.
Hmmm. Actually, Dawn, I think I might like Incendiary. I've read many, many books about the reactions to bin Laden's terrorism but most were from the point of view of Muslims who destest him as much as I do.

I'd be interested in reading a book about the reaction of the British. The heroine in the book seems to be as human as one can get with all our faults, big and little. She seems to be a bit more "fallen" than the majority and yet who am I to cast stones. Oh, I read about the book on amazon after reading your post.

Right now I am reading In the President's Secret Service by Kessler. What a delightful read. Someone somewhere in C-D recommended it. I was so surprised to learn what a mean, obnoxious person Carter was (is). I'm a stubborn Democrat (much to the dismay of my entire family) but I never quite liked the guy and now I know how horrible and fake he is. I'm so glad to know this (again, I am so deep) because I dislike him mostly for his remarks about Jews. He's an antiSemite and antiSemites are barely human, IMHO.

Gosh, I'm in one of my rambling moods and I am sorry to inflict this on readers of the book forum. Mea culpa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Hmmm. Actually, Dawn, I think I might like Incendiary. I've read many, many books about the reactions to bin Laden's terrorism but most were from the point of view of Muslims who destest him as much as I do.

I'd be interested in reading a book about the reaction of the British. The heroine in the book seems to be as human as one can get with all our faults, big and little. She seems to be a bit more "fallen" than the majority and yet who am I to cast stones. Oh, I read about the book on amazon after reading your post.

Right now I am reading In the President's Secret Service by Kessler. What a delightful read. Someone somewhere in C-D recommended it. I was so surprised to learn what a mean, obnoxious person Carter was (is). I'm a stubborn Democrat (much to the dismay of my entire family) but I never quite liked the guy and now I know how horrible and fake he is. I'm so glad to know this (again, I am so deep) because I dislike him mostly for his remarks about Jews. He's an antiSemite and antiSemites are barely human, IMHO.

Gosh, I'm in one of my rambling moods and I am sorry to inflict this on readers of the book forum. Mea culpa.
Y'know what? I changed my mind, then. You would like it!

I haven't gotten to the ending yet -- I'm just past midway through -- so I don't know if it'll be disappointing, but if it's anything like Cleave's Little Bee, which I absolutely loved, I think I'll enjoy this one to the last page.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:46 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,911,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Y'know what? I changed my mind, then. You would like it!

I haven't gotten to the ending yet -- I'm just past midway through -- so I don't know if it'll be disappointing, but if it's anything like Cleave's Little Bee, which I absolutely loved, I think I'll enjoy this one to the last page.
oh i have been dying to read cleaves little bee . Now I think I must read it because everything dawn reads is good . wowsa so many books so little time .

Old 04-26-2011, 03:19 PM

43 posts, read 62,206 times
Too many entries to check, but has anyone read John Sandford's 'Prey books'. The first is Rules of Prey. Excellent.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:18 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altadena View Post
Too many entries to check, but has anyone read John Sandford's 'Prey books'. The first is Rules of Prey. Excellent.

I have read a few of his prey books. He's a good writer. His books never get stale for me but they do make me nervous and I like it.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,227,848 times
received The Book of Awesome and Forever by Pete Hamill in the mail today!! cant wait to start them!!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh i have been dying to read cleaves little bee . Now I think I must read it because everything dawn reads is good . wowsa so many books so little time .
Oh! You MUST read Little Bee. It was fabulous!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,354,310 times
Rereading "The Fiery Cross" by Diana Gabaldon.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:12 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,163,558 times
Halfway through "Yesterday" by Fern Michaels. I just love her books.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
received The Book of Awesome and Forever by Pete Hamill in the mail today!! cant wait to start them!!
I can't wait for you to start Forever, either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books