Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 05:30 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,341,477 times

Advertisements

I'm reading The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett. Next, I think I'll read A Dangerous Woman and Vanished by Mary McGarry Morris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I'm reading The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett. Next, I think I'll read A Dangerous Woman and Vanished by Mary McGarry Morris.
I loved Patron Saint of Liars.

If you haven't read Ann Patchett's Bel Canto, it's absolutely terrific. Don't be swayed by the synopsis of it like I was -- just dig in and you'll love it.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,325,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
If you haven't read Ann Patchett's Bel Canto, it's absolutely terrific. Don't be swayed by the synopsis of it like I was -- just dig in and you'll love it.
I loved that one too! It's been quite a while, but out of the blue a few times I've thought about it.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,325,016 times
I just finished "The Hour I First Believed". I'm thinking I should read "The Help" now since the movie is coming out. I had to scramble to finally read "Water For Elephants" which I had for a couple of years due to the movie. Not that I'll go see the movies, but I don't like the movie actors to take over what the characters look like in my mind when I'm reading.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I loved Patron Saint of Liars.

Yes, I have. I really like Ann Patchett. I haven't read her book Run yet.
ETA: I'm about 3/4 of the way through with Liars, and I really like it.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:56 AM

4,693 posts, read 4,334,181 times
Well I am the slow reader here. I finally finished HARD TIMES by Dickens
which I actually enjoyed quite a bit. It's just the language is sometimes a bit hard to follow(ironically because after all it is ENGLISH.
Took a break and just started 19th WIFE. I had taken it from the library before but never even opened it. Now I have, and am really enjoying it and it is such a good, easy read.(only on page 30 so far but I can see it will be effortless).Thanks to all the recommendations here.
And in another thread someone raised A Walk in the Woods which I had forgotten about and will try to get to.. as a few people raved about it to me. .
(I have read Bel Canto several years ago and liked it but did not love it.)
I do love all the suggestions here on this forum.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Yes, I have. I really like Ann Patchett. I haven't read her book Run yet.
ETA: I'm about 3/4 of the way through with Liars, and I really like it.
Oh, good!

I didn't really think much of Run. It was very formulaic and soap opera-ish for me. Definitely not her best work, by far.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I loved that one too! It's been quite a while, but out of the blue a few times I've thought about it.
Every time I see it in a used book shop, I think about buying it. But I don't because I rarely, if ever, re-read a book. I enjoyed it so much, though, that it's tempting.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe.

I like autobiographies but I have never been a fan of Rob Lowe. His book, however, is really good. I was so surprised. I only wanted to read it because I love movie-making trivia and this book is chock full of it. He is very honest about himself. I can't prove that but I really do believe it. I also believe that he "found his way" years ago with the help of his wife.

This book contains absolutely no mean-spiritedness. The parts I enjoyed the most were the stories about the making of "The Outsiders" and "The West Wing." I love those tidbits about how, who, what, where, when and why. It is also very interesting to me to read about how agents function.

He is able to write about various well known actors and celebrities with just the right amount of character-revealing stories on their part and on his without dishing on flaws. In short, it's a very positive read but the reader is not shortchanged at all.

It only took me a day to read this book but it was worth the time because I was so wrapped up in the movie making into.

If you are a fan of movies I think you would enjoy this book. If you are not, you might enjoy it anyway.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Oh, good!

I didn't really think much of Run. It was very formulaic and soap opera-ish for me. Definitely not her best work, by far.
For some reason, it's just not grabbing me. I havent started it, but I pick it up and look at it every once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books