Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 06:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times

Advertisements

Here's a few I read in the last couple weeks:
Major's Pettigrew's Last Stand - I liked it. The Major's humorous observations were laugh out loud funny. A charming book.

The Imperfectionists - IMHO, this is the book I compare to Olive Kitteridge if only because it's written in the same short story form with a chapter devoted to each character. Rachman was a foreign correspondent for the IHT, a newspaperman like Pete Hamill. I'm just drawn to this style of writing. In one or two sentences, Dee describes a character to perfection. The book is only 250 pages. I can't wait for Rachman's second book.

The Privileges - Jonathan Dee has been compared to Jonathan Frantzen. Frantzen did recommend the book. I now plan to read Palladio. "The Privileges" was a finalist for the Pulitzer this year.

I tried to read Judy Dench's memoir. A great actor, but the book was a snoozefest, and I didn't finish.

The Postmistress - I finished this book a few weeks ago, but am not as enthusiastic about it as some other posters, not disrespect intended. It got great reviews so I guess I'm in the minority. The book is about how the news is delivered, and how the news is perceived by the general population.

I picked up Pete Hamill's new book Tabloid City today at my library. Looking forward to this one. Has anyone read When Tito Loved Clara by Jon Michaud or The Great House by Nicole Krauss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:54 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
re- reading -To Kill a Mockingbird

Old 05-04-2011, 07:02 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Okay Ladies , yes I mentioned the postmistress and also the dr's wife and now Im thinking I would like to read the dark lantern . If anybody has read "The Dark Lantern " I would like to know how it is really I would but please dont tell me the ending please . Thanks and have a great one .

Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 AM

220 posts, read 282,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I never could stand Catcher and never understood what all the hoopla was about.
I didn't like Catcher either when I read it. It's been 15+ years, though, so maybe if I give it another chance I'll change my opinion, but I doubt it. I just remember getting annoyed with Holden Caulfield and the book in general.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Miguels mom asked if I read the drs wife nope have not read it but have started it and I will tell you this it is very confusing at the start so I had to go back and re read it . wow I have never had to do that with any book I have read . so I will be back when I finish it .

Old 05-05-2011, 05:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Here's a few I read in the last couple weeks:
Major's Pettigrew's Last Stand - I liked it. The Major's humorous observations were laugh out loud funny. A charming book.

The Imperfectionists - IMHO, this is the book I compare to Olive Kitteridge if only because it's written in the same short story form with a chapter devoted to each character. Rachman was a foreign correspondent for the IHT, a newspaperman like Pete Hamill. I'm just drawn to this style of writing. In one or two sentences, Dee describes a character to perfection. The book is only 250 pages. I can't wait for Rachman's second book.

The Privileges - Jonathan Dee has been compared to Jonathan Frantzen. Frantzen did recommend the book. I now plan to read Palladio. "The Privileges" was a finalist for the Pulitzer this year.

I tried to read Judy Dench's memoir. A great actor, but the book was a snoozefest, and I didn't finish.

The Postmistress - I finished this book a few weeks ago, but am not as enthusiastic about it as some other posters, not disrespect intended. It got great reviews so I guess I'm in the minority. The book is about how the news is delivered, and how the news is perceived by the general population.

I picked up Pete Hamill's new book Tabloid City today at my library. Looking forward to this one. Has anyone read When Tito Loved Clara by Jon Michaud or The Great House by Nicole Krauss?
I never finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. I probably should have tried harder.

As for The Imperfectionists, however, I absolutely LOVED it. In the New York Times Book Review, Buckley (who reviewed it) called it a "perfect book" -- I agree.

You asked about The Great House. I read it. I'm not sure what to say about it. Parts of it were good. Parts of it weren't great. Parts were confusing. Parts were heartwarming. I just don't know how to rate this book. I wouldn't suggest that you buy it, but if you see it in the library, then it's worth a try. Just make sure that you have another book, in case you want to toss this one.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I never finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. I probably should have tried harder.

As for The Imperfectionists, however, I absolutely LOVED it. In the New York Times Book Review, Buckley (who reviewed it) called it a "perfect book" -- I agree.

You asked about The Great House. I read it. I'm not sure what to say about it. Parts of it were good. Parts of it weren't great. Parts were confusing. Parts were heartwarming. I just don't know how to rate this book. I wouldn't suggest that you buy it, but if you see it in the library, then it's worth a try. Just make sure that you have another book, in case you want to toss this one.
I did read the NYT review and agree with Buckley. Thanks for the info on The Great House. It is a library book. Recent poor choices in purchased books have led me back to the library.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:12 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times
I just finished Whispers by Dean Koontz. What a gruesome tale.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:05 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Miguels mom asked if I read the drs wife nope have not read it but have started it and I will tell you this it is very confusing at the start so I had to go back and re read it . wow I have never had to do that with any book I have read . so I will be back when I finish it .
I read The Drs. Wife. It wasn't one of the best books I've read, but it wasn't one of the worse either. Predictable ending.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 PM

106 posts, read 372,829 times
I'm finishing up the book Dreamworld by Brian Wood. It's actually from a first time author and really good, excited for the next books to be published.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books