Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 PM
 
8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Reputation: 15342

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
My sister bought me that book for my birthday when it first came out and I've never read it because I thought exactly the same thing. I don't know what people are thinking giving a dog lover a book about a dog that's going to die. I'm still not over Old Yeller.
A friend of mine keeps a blog of book reviews for animal lovers. She'll declare a book "safe" or "unsafe" depending on how the animals are treated in the story and whether there are any scenes that might upset an animal lover. You might find it handy.

[URL="http://esheley.wordpress.com/"]The Dog Doesn't Die[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2011, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
Reputation: 1626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
A friend of mine keeps a blog of book reviews for animal lovers. She'll declare a book "safe" or "unsafe" depending on how the animals are treated in the story and whether there are any scenes that might upset an animal lover. You might find it handy.

The Dog Doesn't Die

I can relate! I have a friend who will not read any books where an animal might be injured. . . .she refused even "the life of Pi". . .. . if "the dog doesn't die" is a book, I will have to get it for her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2011, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Reputation: 28903
My attention span is shot. It's nil. Zero. Zipster!

Yet I can't fall asleep without having read at least a bit.

Seeing as I really enjoyed the short stories in Interpreter of Maladies, I got Unaccustomed Earth by the same author (Jhumpa Lahiri). I've read the first story so far. It's hitting the spot. I don't typically enjoy short stories -- not enough meat to feel sated -- but I need some sustenance and I really enjoy her writing style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Reputation: 27092
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
My attention span is shot. It's nil. Zero. Zipster!

Yet I can't fall asleep without having read at least a bit.

Seeing as I really enjoyed the short stories in Interpreter of Maladies, I got Unaccustomed Earth by the same author (Jhumpa Lahiri). I've read the first story so far. It's hitting the spot. I don't typically enjoy short stories -- not enough meat to feel sated -- but I need some sustenance and I really enjoy her writing style.
I think it must be that time of year because I have totally lost interest in reading anything right at this point . I dont know I guess everyone goes through that point in their life huh ? Im just over reading anything right now .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 PM
 
4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Reputation: 8481
phonelady- I go through phases like that frequently. I am truly impressed with how many of the posters on here seem to maintain that pace... I love reading, but I just can't seem to do it as much as others. I am on the computer all day for work, and in the evenings i am on the computer for relaxation.... somehow reading on the computer is in smaller more focused doses but when I sit with a book, my eyes get tired quicker.
Anyway I just finished 19th Wife and i see why everyone was recommending it. It was a great read and really stirred up my interest.
I am going to try Let the great world spin ....
I also just got ZOO STORY by Thomas French which looks AMAZING and I did a quick search here and it looks like it has not been mentioned.

Amazon.com: Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives (9781401310530): Thomas French: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 04:33 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Reputation: 27092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
phonelady- I go through phases like that frequently. I am truly impressed with how many of the posters on here seem to maintain that pace... I love reading, but I just can't seem to do it as much as others. I am on the computer all day for work, and in the evenings i am on the computer for relaxation.... somehow reading on the computer is in smaller more focused doses but when I sit with a book, my eyes get tired quicker.
Anyway I just finished 19th Wife and i see why everyone was recommending it. It was a great read and really stirred up my interest.
I am going to try Let the great world spin ....
I also just got ZOO STORY by Thomas French which looks AMAZING and I did a quick search here and it looks like it has not been mentioned.

Amazon.com: Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives (9781401310530): Thomas French: Books
I dont think I could read Zoo story it sounds very sad and If I read anything about animals being hurt i have nightmares and am physically sick for days !! I think I shall have to pass on this one respectively dear I just cannot do it I hope every one understands .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Reputation: 20483
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

I've been spending too much on books and have decided to re-read a bunch of classics... all free for Kindle. I'd welcome any suggestions of classics you loved!
Re-reading Dreiser's An American Tragedy. I did a paper on it about 40 years ago, and haven't looked at it since. I'm thoroughly enjoying it this time around, without having to actually search for the points that supported my premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 06:36 PM
 
Location: The Edge: A state betwixt and between!
1,646 posts, read 697,589 times
Reputation: 1222
Starting, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Coastal North Carolina
220 posts, read 282,588 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
phonelady- I go through phases like that frequently. I am truly impressed with how many of the posters on here seem to maintain that pace... I love reading, but I just can't seem to do it as much as others. I am on the computer all day for work, and in the evenings i am on the computer for relaxation.... somehow reading on the computer is in smaller more focused doses but when I sit with a book, my eyes get tired quicker.
Anyway I just finished 19th Wife and i see why everyone was recommending it. It was a great read and really stirred up my interest.
I am going to try Let the great world spin ....
I also just got ZOO STORY by Thomas French which looks AMAZING and I did a quick search here and it looks like it has not been mentioned.

Amazon.com: Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives (9781401310530): Thomas French: Books
Whew! It's good to hear that others don't always keep up a fast pace when reading. I love to read and always have a book going but I'm not too quick of a reader. I also can go a day or two without reading because I'm trying to keep up with the few tv shows I watch, or I also get caught up reading things on the internet, or I just want to spend the time with my husband. Sometimes I feel like such a slacker when I read this forum but hearing from you and phonelady, even though she's a prolific reader, makes me feel much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Sugar Grove, IL
3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
Reputation: 1640
Doomsday Key by James Rollins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top