Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 12:44 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm View Post
I have read The Namesake and thought it was just okay, and since I don't care for short stories (not enough going on!) I haven't even these 2 books a try. I guess if I want to give short stories a try again I'd try hers. Which one first?
I just finished Unaccustomed Earth. Wow! Two of the stories are going to stay with me a long time but all of them are very, very good. What an exceptional book. I never thought I would be so swept away by short stories. This woman can really write.

I've ordered Interpreter of Maladies and got a really good deal on it from Amazon.com. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Unaccustomed Earth has a 2008 copyright and Interpreter of Maladies has a 1999 copyright date.

I liked The Namesake but it did drag in a few places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM

87,802 posts, read 83,516,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Glad to find this thread.....you are so civil and friendly here ...not to mention the fabulous book recommendations!

I am behind in reading, having just moved...still on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo....but soon will get to look for some of your recs. Ummm, how to choose~

Anyone besides me STILL read hardcover/paperback books?

Thanks
gbh

Agree with what I underlined! I love talking with people who READ.

And yes, I am still reading words on paper, greatblueheron. Perhaps someday I'll break down and go electronic, but so far, I'm fine reading the real thing.

I do get tired of schlepping heavy hardcovers onto the train and then to the office (along with the lunch and whatever else I need to carry that day), so I've taken to reading paperbacks for the commute and hardcovers in bed at night. This way I get to have two books going at once, too!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:56 PM

74 posts, read 71,936 times
Default Short Stories

On the subject of short stories, (which, I'll agree, I'm not often a big fan of) Salman Rushdie wrote an exquisite book of short stories called East and West. Rushdie can be very hard to read, but not his short stories.

Also, some of the best short stories I've ever read are by Isabel Allende. I'll admit I read them in Spanish, but can only imagine they'd be just as amazing in English.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 AM

443 posts, read 561,588 times
Almost finished The Good Guy by Dean Koontz. Its a fast paced thriller where the monster isall too human! The Good Guy by Dean Koontz

Old 06-03-2011, 03:17 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,648,252 times
Allende is a wonderful writer, I will look for them

gbh
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
On the subject of short stories, (which, I'll agree, I'm not often a big fan of) Salman Rushdie wrote an exquisite book of short stories called East and West. Rushdie can be very hard to read, but not his short stories.

Also, some of the best short stories I've ever read are by Isabel Allende. I'll admit I read them in Spanish, but can only imagine they'd be just as amazing in English.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,464,984 times
I just picked up Norton's Anthology, volume 2, Burns/Blake to Dylan Thomas, 1700 pages hardbound, at a yard sale for two bucks. Don't worry, I'll still read contemporary novels, and report here on them.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,718,177 times
Shoe Addicts Anonymous-Beth Harbison.

I really like it.

It's a story of a group of women who get together to discuss shoes and they end up becoming friends in the process and helping one another.
One lady is deeply in debt, the other is a wife of a controlling U.S. Senator, one is a phone s*x operator who can barely leave her home, and the other is a nanny.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 AM

74 posts, read 71,936 times
Default hard cover or ebooks

Someone recently wondered on this thread if anyone still reads hard covers. I do! And so does my mom. I bought her the latest Patricia Cornwall book in hardcover for mother's day. If a book has just been released, and I love the author and want to keep it in my library, I'll absolutely buy the hard cover or oversized paper. But I'm starting to make my way into e-books. I don't have a kindle, but I sometimes download a free or cheap book onto my iphone that I'm interested in. (you can get a free kindle app) That way, if I'm on the subway or somewhere with nothing else to do, I can read and don't have to worry about lugging the book.

But to keep in the topic of the first post, I always return to the classics, sigh. Jane Austen is my goddess. However, for more current recommendations, check out Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Very, very funny and a great story.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:27 PM

4,693 posts, read 4,334,181 times
ok so I did just finish ZOO STORY by T French. It was very good, and it was a very good evaluation of the role of zoos (or especially the one in Tampa) and animal life and Africa etc etc.
I was at the library today and got SNOW in AUGUST by Pete Hamill ... I will either start that or the Incredible Journey.... but I did reserve the book mentioned above Anansi boys...

Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM

963 posts, read 2,395,874 times
Just finished "Just Kids" by Patti Smith while In hospital. A great read, and a remarkable woman - what a life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books