Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 AM

443 posts, read 564,767 times

Advertisements

I am in the middle of The Guardians by Andrew Pyper. Its got a haunted house, four friends with a secret and coming back to your old hometown where things haven't changed.
Daisy's Book Journal: The Guardians by Andrew Pyper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 03:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
I just read the Montreal portion of Save the Deli -- that's all that I wanted to read -- and next up, I'll give Dumbfounded by Matt Rothschild (it's a memoir) a try.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:04 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,349 times
"The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America," by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt

Incredible timeline of documents that verify the destruction of our public education system, written by a woman who worked under the Reagan Administration and was fired for being a whistleblower. Eye opening book.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry. Jayber Crow tells the story of his life (fiction) as the town barber in Port William, Kentucky, and all the people with whom he interacted over the years. It's a sweet, gentle story that offers lots of insights on the nature of a community over a long span of time. I haven't read any other Wendell Berry, but understand that lots of his books take place in this same town. I intend to read more of them.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry. Jayber Crow tells the story of his life (fiction) as the town barber in Port William, Kentucky, and all the people with whom he interacted over the years. It's a sweet, gentle story that offers lots of insights on the nature of a community over a long span of time. I haven't read any other Wendell Berry, but understand that lots of his books take place in this same town. I intend to read more of them.
Thank you for this lead. The book sounds like something I would really like. I ordered it and I saw a few others of his that I'd like to read, too.

Learning about books like this one is just so exciting.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:14 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,783 times
I think I would like that one too K & Marlow. I'm reading Running With Scissors and it's so good. I plan on reading all of his books. Augusten Burroughs.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I'm reading Running With Scissors and it's so good. I plan on reading all of his books. Augusten Burroughs.
I enjoyed his books, too. Well, except for the last one. At least I think it was his last one -- it was MY last one. But the early stuff -- like Running With Scissors -- is very well-written.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:26 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Recently gave up my "little gems" of books while going through an interstate pack/move/unpack. I bought paperback of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo so I could carry it around easy.

At first I was not absorbed and thought it was because everything was so up in the air for me.....but now weeks later, I just can't get into it!

I know there was a thread about this book, but just wanted to hear how many others, if any, were not impressed or just did not like the book. I am not even going to try to finish it .....

generally prefer clever/poignant/imaginative books, some classics, along with war history, art etc.

Thanks!

gbh

Old 06-08-2011, 06:09 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Recently gave up my "little gems" of books while going through an interstate pack/move/unpack. I bought paperback of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo so I could carry it around easy.

At first I was not absorbed and thought it was because everything was so up in the air for me.....but now weeks later, I just can't get into it!

I know there was a thread about this book, but just wanted to hear how many others, if any, were not impressed or just did not like the book. I am not even going to try to finish it .....

generally prefer clever/poignant/imaginative books, some classics, along with war history, art etc.

Thanks!

gbh
The first time I tried Dragon Tattoo I quit it about a 4th of the way through. It just didn't grab me. Then many of the folks here were loving it and I decided to give it another try. The 2nd time took. It takes a while to get into it but once you do you will not be able to put it down. The author had a very unique way of writing and it took me some time to set my pace to his. When I finished the book I HAD to read the others.

He really was a very good writer and had planned 12 or 13 books in the series but he died unexpectedly. What a loss. I could easily read them all again and would learn new things.

Lisbeth Salander is one of the "coolest" fictional characters I have ever had the pleasure to read about.

I highly recommend the book(s). Just hang in there a while. He takes a bit to flesh out Lisbeth. Larsson was still fleshing her out at the end of book 3.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
I liked Lisbeth from the start.....read maybe 25% of the book....so, ok, because of her....you have convinced me to hang in there with it!

Thanks Ketabcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The first time I tried Dragon Tattoo I quit it about a 4th of the way through. It just didn't grab me. Then many of the folks here were loving it and I decided to give it another try. The 2nd time took. It takes a while to get into it but once you do you will not be able to put it down. The author had a very unique way of writing and it took me some time to set my pace to his. When I finished the book I HAD to read the others.

He really was a very good writer and had planned 12 or 13 books in the series but he died unexpectedly. What a loss. I could easily read them all again and would learn new things.

Lisbeth Salander is one of the "coolest" fictional characters I have ever had the pleasure to read about.

I highly recommend the book(s). Just hang in there a while. He takes a bit to flesh out Lisbeth. Larsson was still fleshing her out at the end of book 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books