Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 01:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,797,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I recently finished reading "In the Neighborhood" by Peter Lovenheim and loved it. It's a non-fiction book that explores the loss of the traditional neighborhood. Lovenheim, a journalist and teacher, was moved to write the book when reflecting on a murder-suicide in a house on the street where he'd lived most of his life. He found that noone really knew the people who had died. He decided to set about getting to know his neighbors by spending time with them -- sleeping over -- and learning about their lives. A well-written and touching book that made me want to get to know my neighbors better.
I can't believe it! Someone else finally read this book that I've been pushing for so long! YAY!!!

I loved it so much that I emailed the author. We had a nice email chat going back and forth. He even told me that he thought that I was a good writer and asked me to write a review on Amazon. So, I did.

Please note: This post is NOT well-written and is not a sample of my skills. I'm running on four hours of sleep and my brain is fried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 PM

74 posts, read 71,890 times
Default Cold Sassy Tree

All this talk of Jayber Crow, which I haven't read but certainly will now, makes me think of Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns. My sister-in-law recommended it to me several years ago and it's still one of my favorites. It's the story of a boy growing up in a small town in the south and all the secrets and that "good people" hide for the sake of propriety. It's a funny, moving story that almost has the feel of To Kill a Mockingbird. If you haven't read it, you should definitely seek it out.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,802,145 times
I just started the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 AM

169 posts, read 522,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I recently finished reading "In the Neighborhood" by Peter Lovenheim and loved it. It's a non-fiction book that explores the loss of the traditional neighborhood. Lovenheim, a journalist and teacher, was moved to write the book when reflecting on a murder-suicide in a house on the street where he'd lived most of his life. He found that noone really knew the people who had died. He decided to set about getting to know his neighbors by spending time with them -- sleeping over -- and learning about their lives. A well-written and touching book that made me want to get to know my neighbors better.
Sounds very interesting!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:38 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,562,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Have you read Isaac's Storm? It really sounds interesting.

I'm thrilled to have found this author.
Yes. Isaac's Storm is really good. I love it when an author can take a single event and weave a captivating story out of it. I live on the Gulf Coast and so was especially interested. Devil in the White City is also good if you haven't read it.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:59 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,165,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yes. Isaac's Storm is really good. I love it when an author can take a single event and weave a captivating story out of it. I live on the Gulf Coast and so was especially interested. Devil in the White City is also good if you haven't read it.
Oh Goody! Two more to read. I have several friends who live in Galveston. I can pass Isaac's Storm along to them when I finish it.

I had never heard of a murderer at the Chicago World's Fair. This author certainly writes about interesting and very specific things. He must spend most of his time researching.

Thanks, Marlow.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,797,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Oh Goody! Two more to read.
Three, if you haven't already read In the Neighborhood by Peter Lovenheim. Right after I read it (a year or so ago? when it first came out), I talked about this book as if I'd written it -- I did, in fact, want to buy a copy for each of my 43 neighbors in my cul de sac -- and it got rediscussed at the top of page 444 of this thread.

If you haven't read it, please do. It's fabulous.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,132,607 times
Default Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks to suggestions on this thread, I picked up 2 books at the library today: In the Neighborhood by Peter Lovenheim and Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult. I'll let you know how I like them; they both sound interesting and I hadn't heard of either before reading your posts.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:59 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,899,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Thanks to suggestions on this thread, I picked up 2 books at the library today: In the Neighborhood by Peter Lovenheim and Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult. I'll let you know how I like them; they both sound interesting and I hadn't heard of either before reading your posts.
I read Sing You home by Picoult and not one of her best IMHO. But judge for yourselves .

Old 06-22-2011, 03:09 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,165,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Hang in there with Picoult's book. This particular one is slightly slow in a couple of places but the interaction during those two times is vital to the story. I have never read a Picoult book that I did not like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books