Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 04:38 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,370,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
All this talk of Jayber Crow, which I haven't read but certainly will now, makes me think of Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns. My sister-in-law recommended it to me several years ago and it's still one of my favorites. It's the story of a boy growing up in a small town in the south and all the secrets and that "good people" hide for the sake of propriety. It's a funny, moving story that almost has the feel of To Kill a Mockingbird. If you haven't read it, you should definitely seek it out.
Cold Sassy Tree is one of my favorite books too. I just love it. When someone is looking at my books, and want to read one, I always recommend Cold Sassy Tree because everyone who reads it likes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Oh Goody! Two more to read. I have several friends who live in Galveston. I can pass Isaac's Storm along to them when I finish it.

I had never heard of a murderer at the Chicago World's Fair. This author certainly writes about interesting and very specific things. He must spend most of his time researching.

Thanks, Marlow.
It is a great book, the tale of perhaps the first American serial killer. I've heard Scorceses wants to make it into a movie, it is certainly a heck of a story!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I recently finished reading "In the Neighborhood" by Peter Lovenheim and loved it. It's a non-fiction book that explores the loss of the traditional neighborhood. Lovenheim, a journalist and teacher, was moved to write the book when reflecting on a murder-suicide in a house on the street where he'd lived most of his life. He found that noone really knew the people who had died. He decided to set about getting to know his neighbors by spending time with them -- sleeping over -- and learning about their lives. A well-written and touching book that made me want to get to know my neighbors better.
Sounds interesting...where and when does this take place and does he write is in novel form or more sociological?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Sounds interesting...where and when does this take place and does he write is in novel form or more sociological?
Amazon.com: In The Neighborhood: The Search for Community on an American Street, One Sleepover at a Time: Peter Lovenheim: Books

The book takes place in Rochester, NY. I don't remember what year it takes place in, but it's recent times.

It's NOT written like a sociology textbook AT ALL. It's much more like a novel, but it's non-fiction.

It's a TERRIFIC book by an AMAZING man.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:36 PM

Sounds very interesting, I'll see if my library has it.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 PM

7,363 posts, read 5,477,454 times
I am reading 'The Mermaid Chair' by Sue Monk Kidd. She's the author who wrote 'The Secret Life of Bees'. So far this book is pretty good.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
I am reading 'The Mermaid Chair' by Sue Monk Kidd. She's the author who wrote 'The Secret Life of Bees'. So far this book is pretty good.
The Mermaid Chair is a good book. I was on an emotional roller coaster while reading it. It has stayed with me, too.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
I am off on a history bent....reading The Hunley by Mark Ragan, about the first submarine to sink an enemy ship. Built during the Civil War, in the mid- 1800s, it was a hand-cranked (by 7 crew and 1 Capt.) Confederate sub and sank a Union ship in Charleston SC harbor. Lit inside by only one candle, how brave these men were.....unfortunately, the Hunley did not make it back to shore after that successive attack.

Not too many yrs ago, the HL Hunley was discovered in it's resting place.....items from the inside where the 8 member crew died were recovered. The sub itself was recovered and even now is being righted so more can be learned about why it sank.

All the drawings of the first sub and the story of it's beginning to ending, as well as Civil War info, are included....pretty neat read.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:55 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
I'm reading a book called "The most dangerous man in the world - Julian Assange" ... how wikileaks got started, his personal background and how he got into all this...

Old 06-23-2011, 07:23 AM

461 posts, read 796,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I read Sing You home by Picoult and not one of her best IMHO. But judge for yourselves .
I agree, I just finished it as well, thought it was a little preachy. More important, I don't think it was that interesting. Maybe she should take a break before she churns out another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books