Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 01:24 PM

28 posts, read 28,093 times

Advertisements

I read Last Exit To Brooklyn so long ago, I don't recall too much of it. But I recently watched a Selby documentary, and loved it so much, I wanted to go back and read him again. So, I'm now reading Waiting Period, and I'm so glad to be reading it. I love dark humor, and I love to read something that makes me laugh out loud as I read. This one is a knee slapper so far, and I'm only on page 18. (I know this sort of humor isn't for everyone. In fact, I know this sort of humor is intolerable for some. I mean, some wouldn't think this was funny at all. And maybe not some, but many???)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,569,663 times
Just started A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore. Not sure about it yet.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,201,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRoots View Post
I read Last Exit To Brooklyn so long ago, I don't recall too much of it. But I recently watched a Selby documentary, and loved it so much, I wanted to go back and read him again. So, I'm now reading Waiting Period, and I'm so glad to be reading it. I love dark humor, and I love to read something that makes me laugh out loud as I read. This one is a knee slapper so far, and I'm only on page 18. (I know this sort of humor isn't for everyone. In fact, I know this sort of humor is intolerable for some. I mean, some wouldn't think this was funny at all. And maybe not some, but many???)
That was a really bleak yet interesting book.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:24 AM

393 posts, read 1,490,258 times
Read these in June:

Berry, Steve ***** exciting!
- The Amber Room

Blackwell, Juliet *** fun
- Hexes and Hemlines

Carroll, Rick *** fun
- Hawaii’s Best Spooky Tales: The Original

Heckman, Victoria ** okay
- K.O.’d in Honolulu

Mayes, Frances ***** made me want to move to Tuscany
- Under the Tuscan Sun

Silva, Daniel ***** exciting
- The Rembrandt Affair

Reading these now:

Andrade, Carlos
- Ha’ena: Through the Eyes of the Ancestors

Malone, Nancy M.
- Walking a Literary Labyrinth: A Spirituality of Reading

Old 07-01-2011, 06:50 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,911,362 times
Has anybody ever read anything by the author Ivan Doig ? I have just started his book titled "the whistling season " and it is good so far but am really enjoying his books . If you have not had a chance to check him out do so .

Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,028,650 times
After devouring The Hunger Games, Kissed by an Angel (another young adult series my mom sent me!), and The Solitude of Prime Numbers, decided to go back in time and read Anna Karenina. It's taken me a little bit to get into it but I'm anout 100 pages in now and have started to enjoy it. I usually try to go back and forth between old and new books - but I got sucked into some really enticing modern stuff!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:54 PM

74 posts, read 71,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
After devouring The Hunger Games, Kissed by an Angel (another young adult series my mom sent me!), and The Solitude of Prime Numbers, decided to go back in time and read Anna Karenina. It's taken me a little bit to get into it but I'm anout 100 pages in now and have started to enjoy it. I usually try to go back and forth between old and new books - but I got sucked into some really enticing modern stuff!
I love Tolstoy and have read Anna Karenina, but it's ultimately so sad! War and Peace is one of my favorite novels, but you can't really read the last 50 pages, because it's just a political diatribe by Tolstoy. Fortunately he wraps up the story before that.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:04 PM

4,693 posts, read 4,334,181 times
Just finished OLIVE KITTERIDGE ( I did like it a lot and it was a good read but it was a bit unsettling/upsetting).. Next up is either CLEAR SPRINGS or ANANSI BOYS. (both of which I never heard of except for some recommendations here).

Old 07-02-2011, 09:07 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,802,918 times
Two For the Dough-Janet Evanovich.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:07 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,774,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Just finished OLIVE KITTERIDGE ( I did like it a lot and it was a good read but it was a bit unsettling/upsetting).. Next up is either CLEAR SPRINGS or ANANSI BOYS. (both of which I never heard of except for some recommendations here).
Ah, Clear Springs by Bobbie Ann Mason? Love that book. My mom, the nonreader, loved that book as it reminded her of growing up in rural OK. Would love to know what you think when you're done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books