Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 12:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading The Kitchen God's Wife. I read Saving Fish from Drowning last year. Amy Tan never disappoints me. I've even become so familiar with some of the American-Chinese sayings that I find I use some of them in conversation. Things like "best part" when talking about food servings.

"Best intentions" is another one. I realize they sound like regular sayings but the way there are used by the characters' mothers is different. I like the characters so much that I forget I am reading fiction. When the heroine in one of her books announces that she has MS I said "Oh no" outloud. I love her character development because it is always so clear and so human. There is always so much going on in the books and yet her books are so restful to me.
Which book was that? That book might bring me back to reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 02:17 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading The Kitchen God's Wife. I read Saving Fish from Drowning last year. Amy Tan never disappoints me. ...I like the characters so much that I forget I am reading fiction. ...I love her character development because it is always so clear and so human. There is always so much going on in the books and yet her books are so restful to me.
Sold! I am heading for my library hold account, now! Thanks!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,046,486 times
The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman. I ordered this thru Paperbackswap and from a recommendation from someone here on the thread. I can't remember who you are but the book is so far, so good!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:23 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,464,984 times
Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom". I'm liking it a lot better than "Corrections", which I thought was so-so. Very long, its possible I won't finish it, especially if his style declines, which so often happens in long books (Lonesome Dove, the Tin Drum, to name a couple). But I like it so far.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:34 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Default Tales from the Yoga Studio: A Novel by Rain Mitchell

I picked up "Tales from the Yoga Studio: A Novel" by Rain Mitchell, because the cover caught my eye as I was leaving the library with my stack of yoga instruction books. It looked like some weekend "mind candy" that I definitely needed to wash away the darkness from reading "The Portable Dorothy Parker."

It is the quintessential "chic" book summer read, but it was well constructed, written, and executed. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone; no man I know would be interested in all the "feelings," but if you are a woman looking for a story of nice females that face hardships together and separately -- and survive intact, if not stronger -- check it out.

I liked it well enough to keep my eyes open for her second work.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:17 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Which book was that? That book might bring me back to reading.
I'll send you a DM, Dawn.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,165,671 times
I just finished The Good Guy by Dean Koontz. Really enjoyed it; it moved along very quickly and had some good twists and turns. The characters are well defined and I developed feelings for them. Tomorrow, I start Against Medical Advice by James Patterson.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 PM

4,033 posts, read 2,885,454 times
Thanks to C-D recommendations earlier in this thread, I'm reading "The Guernsey Literary and Pototo Peel Pie Society" -- Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It is an utterly charming book which I am having trouble putting down! The authors are telling the tale so cleverly (through letters to and from many people) -- every letter adds a layer of understanding. I find I'm resenting the time that the many normally enjoyable things I do take away from my reading.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Thanks to C-D recommendations earlier in this thread, I'm reading "The Guernsey Literary and Pototo Peel Pie Society" -- Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It is an utterly charming book which I am having trouble putting down! The authors are telling the tale so cleverly (through letters to and from many people) -- every letter adds a layer of understanding. I find I'm resenting the time that the many normally enjoyable things I do take away from my reading.
I'm so glad you are liking it, KK. I feel the same way about the book.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,350,153 times
Just read the 2nd book of The Hunger Games trilogy called Catching Fire. Now reading Book 3 Mockingjay. The 1st book, The Hunger Games is being made into a movie.

It's about a future America. Very interesting. You'll see The Hunger Games on high school reading lists. That is how I learned about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books