Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 10:36 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Thanks to C-D recommendations earlier in this thread, I'm reading "The Guernsey Literary and Pototo Peel Pie Society" -- Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It is an utterly charming book which I am having trouble putting down! The authors are telling the tale so cleverly (through letters to and from many people) -- every letter adds a layer of understanding. I find I'm resenting the time that the many normally enjoyable things I do take away from my reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm so glad you are liking it, KK. I feel the same way about the book.
I learned about these books years ago from a physical therapist that was helping me with a stiff neck (stress-related). After reading a couple of them, I am not certain but I think the reading did more to relax my neck than the therapy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 11:05 PM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
I finished The Golden Spruce and while I enjoyed it, it didn't grab me the way The Tiger did. I had Miriam Toews' Irma Voth as my next book but I got distracted when I picked up Black Hills by Dan Simmons and read the first couple of pages. Since my hubby didn't think Irma Voth was any good, Black Hills will be next - but I'm not sure when since life has gotten so busy that I am reduced to staring at the page and not registering anything.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:30 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
... life has gotten so busy that I am reduced to staring at the page and not registering anything.
It can do that, can't it? Maybe it's time for you to start writing your own pages?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 AM

443 posts, read 561,588 times
Right now I am almost finished Mystery by Jonathan Kellerman. If you follow the Dr, Deleware series or just like a good procerdural crime story, this is a good one to read.
Mystery (Alex Delaware, book 26) by Jonathan Kellerman

Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
Right now I am almost finished Mystery by Jonathan Kellerman. If you follow the Dr, Deleware series or just like a good procerdural crime story, this is a good one to read.
Mystery (Alex Delaware, book 26) by Jonathan Kellerman
His wife, Faye Kellerman, writes some great mysteries, too, centering around Peter Decker as an LA detective.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,112,121 times
I recenlty finished The Help. Okay, I really enjoyed it! I wasn't planning too, but my book club is reading it...who would have thought I'd like it so much? Should make for a good discussion.

Currently I am reading Into Thin Air. Again, I didn't find it all that appealing, but now I am liking it. It's been sitting on my shelf, unread, & then a friend who's reading habits are much like mine insisted it was fabulous.

Love Amy Tan! Love The Kitchen God's Wife. I should read it again soon. The one complaint that I have about her is that (with the exception of Saving Fish From Drowning & The Oppisite of Fate) all of her books & charachters are somewhat interchangeable. But it is a minor flaw for me, I love her that much!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,388,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I recenlty finished The Help. Okay, I really enjoyed it! I wasn't planning too, but my book club is reading it...who would have thought I'd like it so much? Should make for a good discussion.
I'm reading it now...and I love it! Wanted to finish before the movie comes out on August 10. BTW, read 3 reviews so far of the movie (advance screenings), and reviewers gave it very high marks. Good cast too.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:23 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,134,146 times
I started reading E.L. Doctorow's Homer & Langley this morning and I'm now more than halfway through it. I hadn't read any of Doctorow's works before, but now I'm going to have to give the others a go as well. This one is fascinating; it's a fictionalized version of the Collyer Brothers - eccentric bachelor brothers who were recluse/hoarders and whose decaying bodies were found in 1947 amid more than 100 tons of trash in their 5th Avenue brownstone. It's told in first person from the perspective of Homer as an elderly man looking back on their lives.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I started reading E.L. Doctorow's Homer & Langley this morning and I'm now more than halfway through it. I hadn't read any of Doctorow's works before, but now I'm going to have to give the others a go as well. This one is fascinating; it's a fictionalized version of the Collyer Brothers - eccentric bachelor brothers who were recluse/hoarders and whose decaying bodies were found in 1947 amid more than 100 tons of trash in their 5th Avenue brownstone. It's told in first person from the perspective of Homer as an elderly man looking back on their lives.
Oh my. That sounds like a good book. I've never read any Doktorow's books either but I might give that one a try. Thanks for the info on it.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Oh my. That sounds like a good book. I've never read any Doktorow's books either but I might give that one a try. Thanks for the info on it.
I just ordered myself a 1-cent copy from Amazon in hopes that one day, I shall read again. I'm going to have myself a big stack of books to read that day when I have the big breakthrough (aka the day that my house is sold)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books