Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,944,722 times

Advertisements

I'm reading the "Dexter" series by Jeff Lindsay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,253,623 times
Regarding the Dexter books:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the progression of the story line in each subsequent book.

If I hadn't been camping, and already read every other book I'd brought, I never would have finished them.

Also interesting to compare the books plot lines against the directions chosen in the Showtime series created from the original book Darkly Dreaming Dexter.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:21 PM

393 posts, read 1,490,258 times
Today I started Diane Mott Davidson's "The Last Suppers" (4th in her cozy mystery series) and Caren Loebel-Fried's "Hawaiian Legends of Dreams" (non-fiction).

Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 AM

87,806 posts, read 83,516,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I thought, "Wow! It must be me. The book won the Pulitzer and I can't even get through it." I'm happy to hear/read that I'm not alone.
I felt the same way years ago when I tried to read Humboldt's Gift by Saul Bellow. Won the 1975 Nobel Prize for Literature.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 AM

74 posts, read 71,936 times
Default Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I mentioned East of Eden, and what I now find odd is: I don't recall the rape scene! What I remember from E of E was the concept of "Thou mayest" (probably inadequately paraphrased) toward the end of book.

I also liked the beginning (once again paraphrased from memory) "Kathleen was a monster.

Your experience with the Twilight series mirrors mine with the Harry Potter series.

I bought the first book, within days of it's initial release, at an airport bookstore to read while working an all-nighter from Washington Dulles to San Francisco Int.

I could not get past the lack of any knowledge pertaining to Magic and the authors seeming lack of interest in understanding The Laws of Magic.

The Law of Knowledge is generally accepted as the first Law of Magic!

I heard Rowlings writing style may have improved during the course of the series.

I ended up giving this book, very unfinished, to a young boy on the plane who was Overjoyed not only that this was his "first very own book", not just from the library, but that it was Harry Potter.

His mother shared with me, privately, that she had always made sure he had access to books and reading material, but that she could not afford new hardback books.

My guess is he still has this book or, hopefully, it is helping pay for college!

Let us never forget what a privilege it is to read for pleasure and to have access to ALL books.
Sorry to jump back to this conversation but it was of interest to me and I didn't have a chance to reply when we were discussing it a week or so ago. I actually love the Harry Potter series but I'm sure it's because my little boy
was the same age as Harry when we started reading the series (he's 19 now!), and he kind of grew up with him. We took the opportunity to read each book aloud, he, his dad and I, until he was 17. By the time we got to the last book, he wanted to read it himself, of course. But those evenings, gathering around on the couch with the book, turning OFF the TV and just sharing reading together were absolutely priceless. I hope that little boy you gave the book to on the train has the same experience with his mom or whoever.

I don't know much about the laws of magic, so I didn't have that to distract me, and though the first book or two were, admittedly, fairly rudimentary, I loved the world she created and her humor. The writing really started to improve with the third book, and so on with each subsequent book. You have to admit, she did create quite a miraculous phenomenon!

Anyway, here's to different tastes in reading!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:55 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,692,825 times
I'm rereading one that I read several years ago in hopes of going and reading the 2 sequels this time. It's called With Fire and Sword by Henryk Sienkiewicz. It's a historical fiction book about the Polish Civil War in the 17th century and it's what I wanted War and Peace to be like, but I had a hard time slogging through W&P. I generally don't like war epics, but this one has everything. Drama, comic relief, great characters, a love story, a historical foundation, well written. . . and even the battle scenes are interesting to me in this book. A quote from the book and I hope this is OK:

Quote:
One glance at this scene was enough to tell that a a single inflammatory spark thrown on this powder keg would turn the Ukraine into a funeral pyre and let loose a holocaust of murder such as the country had never seen before.
The book was written in the late 1800's and I believe it would appeal to men and women. Oh, and Nobel prize winner too. My favorite comic character in there is Pan Zagloba, and readers and viewers of Shakespeare will surely recognize Falstaff in him.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,253,623 times
Never underestimate the power of a shared experience!

Especially involving a book, which by its very nature is intimate and magical.

Your statement "You have to admit, she did create quite a miraculous phenomenon!" stung me with it's simple truth.

My thoughts on Harry Potter had been cemented with my attempt to read the first book.

Although I shared a moment with the boy I gave the Harry Potter book to, I felt it as a book moment, not a Harry Potter moment.

Although I had friends in their 20's that read the series, perhaps too earnestly, there is no denying its' ability to transform and strengthen relationships, and its' success in initiating a new generation into the secret world of the written word.

There was another series that I WAS reading, and sharing with my friends then 7 year old son, around the same time the Harry Potter books took off, titled: A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Since I didn't read the Harry Potter books, my next thoughts are not a comparison of the two series.

The stories in A Series of Unfortunate Events were different in their approach from other books meant for the same age group.

They contained "big" words, used in context, and explained as part of the narrative, and they treated children as intelligent beings able to comprehend and accept new concepts and ideas.

The best part of the series was the tone. A dark gem for the junior Edward Goreys, tired of feeling left out by happy eternally cheerful stories that did not speak to them. [smiley face]

Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM

13,355 posts, read 28,559,660 times
Hope I'm not disappointed but started The Big Man by Clarence Clemons
just loved him in Bruce Springsteen's E street band and was so saddened when he passed away last month

Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,112,121 times
Over the weekend I finished Atlas Shrugged (on tape) & Into Thin Air.

Can I PLEASE get a sticker for finishing Atlas??? Okay...yes, it is a good story. I don't know how many pages it is, but I am SURE it could have been pared down a third!! The repetitiveness was worse than Steven King or Jean Auel! I think I could have lived my life happily without Atlas...I wouldn't be complaining if it weren't so long & repeatative... But I will tell you what I DID like... Somehow she was able to have it set (200yrs?) in the future, but it still felt like 1940. Blahblahblah...if I say anymore, I'll be as guilty as Rand!

Into Thin Air was a good read. It chronicles the disastorous Everest climbing season in 1996. It also was about the history of climbing Everest. Although I have no interest in mountain climbing, I found it facinating how they managed to get there & survive.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,163,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Over the weekend I finished Atlas Shrugged (on tape) & Into Thin Air.

Can I PLEASE get a sticker for finishing Atlas??? Okay...yes, it is a good story. I don't know how many pages it is, but I am SURE it could have been pared down a third!! The repetitiveness was worse than Steven King or Jean Auel! I think I could have lived my life happily without Atlas...I wouldn't be complaining if it weren't so long & repeatative... But I will tell you what I DID like... Somehow she was able to have it set (200yrs?) in the future, but it still felt like 1940. Blahblahblah...if I say anymore, I'll be as guilty as Rand!

Into Thin Air was a good read. It chronicles the disastorous Everest climbing season in 1996. It also was about the history of climbing Everest. Although I have no interest in mountain climbing, I found it facinating how they managed to get there & survive.
One of my brothers, the PhD raves about "Atlas Shrugged." Said it's required reading for any classes he teaches and everyone in the universe should read it. I think I will pass for the time being. Especially now that I know it's repetitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books