Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,652 times

Advertisements

I just found a book in the laundry room of my apartment complex (on the give away table). It looked intriguing so I picked it up to read tomorrow.

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett

Has anyone here read it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 04:07 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,741 times
"Sizzling Sixteen" by Janet Evanovich. It's been awhile since I read one of her books, so I'm having a blast getting back into Stephanie Plum's life. I'd forgotten how funny these books are

Old 07-16-2011, 09:17 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've read a lot of Quindlen's columns in the NYT and Newsweek. She is a very savvy woman. I have not read any of her fiction, though. I'm going to give this one a try. Thanks for post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I've read a couple novels by Anna Quindlen -- not in recent years, however -- and one of them has stuck with me since it came out in the mid-1990s. It was made into a movie, I believe, a number of years later.

Kebatcha, if you're going to read one, read this one: One True Thing. It was outstanding back then... and I'm sure it still is.

ETA: Mentioning One True Thing reminded me of another book that has stuck with me all these years: Talk Before Sleep by Elizabeth Berg. Two very, very moving books.
I recently read Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen, also a good read.

EDIT: LOL, just read JTur's opinion. I can see what he means about the first couple of chapters, which sort of sets one side of the scene. The story is told from the POV of the sister of a well-known television personality who mingles with the wealthy society of NYC. The sister is a social worker in the ghetto and sees an entirely different side of life, and a major tragedy occurs in the family during the course of the story when the two worlds collide.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:08 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I recently read Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen, also a good read.

EDIT: LOL, just read JTur's opinion. I can see what he means about the first couple of chapters, which sort of sets one side of the scene. The story is told from the POV of the sister of a well-known television personality who mingles with the wealthy society of NYC. The sister is a social worker in the ghetto and sees an entirely different side of life, and a major tragedy occurs in the family during the course of the story when the two worlds collide.
I read Rise and Shine several years ago, and I liked it...a lot. I love-love-love Anna Quindlen's writing style.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:03 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,167 times
just read: Bloodlands, Europe between Hitler and Stalin by Timothy Snyder

great book

currently: William Trevor : Selected Stories

Old 07-16-2011, 07:01 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
I decided to read a bit of real life drama so I read the 3 volume report on the Atlanta Public Schools cheating scandal. It was quite interesting....

Volume 1 of Special Investigation into CRCT Cheating at APS: Overview, Interviews, School summaries *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/volume-1volume-1-of-special-1000798.html - broken link)

Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I decided to read a bit of real life drama so I read the 3 volume report on the Atlanta Public Schools cheating scandal. It was quite interesting....

Volume 1 of Special Investigation into CRCT Cheating at APS: Overview, Interviews, School summaries *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/volume-1volume-1-of-special-1000798.html - broken link)
Good grief! It's horrible but interesting.

Thanks for the link.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Default Amy Tan's "The Hundred Secret Senses"

I just finished this delightful book, and I am definitely now a fan of this artistic author. I was first captured by the narrating character with whom I share so many foibles, but it is her older, "yin-eyed" sister that captured my imagination and heart. Together the two wove a series of stories into the fabric of a world I've never experienced and most likely will never have the chance to know first hand.

I can recommend this book to anyone.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:05 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished this delightful book, and I am definitely now a fan of this artistic author. I was first captured by the narrating character with whom I share so many foibles, but it is her older, "yin-eyed" sister that captured my imagination and heart. Together the two wove a series of stories into the fabric of a world I've never experienced and most likely will never have the chance to know first hand.

I can recommend this book to anyone.
If you really liked that one , You should read "Saving fish from drowning "it is fantastic and I really loved it .

Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 PM

11 posts, read 14,813 times
Default Great Non Fiction Book

I am currently reading Focus on Healing by Jennifer Barraclough. I am a fan of alternative medicine and this is one of the best books I have read about how holistic healing works. It is written by a doctor and is very clear and concise. More info is here: Bach Flower Remedy Consultations, Devonport, North Shore, Auckland - Registered Practitioner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books