Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,083 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I guess I was expecting a quirky story that was maybe a bit dark and spooky. Instead, I found the story boring and the dialog ridiculous. It felt like a direct-to-DVD movie. The book left off with an obvious opening for a sequel. I won't bother reading that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:48 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Yesterday, I read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I guess I was expecting a quirky story that was maybe a bit dark and spooky. Instead, I found the story boring and the dialog ridiculous. It felt like a direct-to-DVD movie. The book left off with an obvious opening for a sequel. I won't bother reading that.
That's exactly what I thought when I read the title. That's too bad. It sounds like it had great potential to be a fun story if it had been like what you were expecting. I like the title.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:30 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Recall that editors get recognition from their publishers for the number of titles that they SELL, and Publisher's tend to get favored for the same. Do any really care how many books actually get read?

Even with reviews, it's tough to know, DH recently read that online reviews are paid for by some unscrupulous sellers, though I am pretty certain that has nothing to do with books.

Bottom line, I am glad for the people that contribute here. Thanks for making the effort to share your thoughts. This is a great resource for readers like me.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Recall that editors get recognition from their publishers for the number of titles that they SELL, and Publisher's tend to get favored for the same. Do any really care how many books actually get read?

Even with reviews, it's tough to know, DH recently read that online reviews are paid for by some unscrupulous sellers, though I am pretty certain that has nothing to do with books.

Bottom line, I am glad for the people that contribute here. Thanks for making the effort to share your thoughts. This is a great resource for readers like me.
has anyone noticed that the reviews on Amazon all, at least for the most part, seem glaringly good for the vast majority of books they offer?

it's like they cull bad reviews. Most everything seems great that they sell. every now and again I'll see something that's not rated high but most things nowadays seem rated very well.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
I'm reading the C.J. Sansom books. They are about a lawyer investigating and solving crimes and mysterys in the Tudor era of England. Something different from what I normally read.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
I was just checking up on today's news and heard that the planned sale of Borders books fell through and Borders now plans to liquidate. This saddens me as I like Borders more than Barnes & Noble, which has it's own problems.

UPDATE 4-Borders, unable to find white knight, to liquidate | Reuters

I know this has nothing to do about which book I'm reading, but might affect which book I might be reading in the future. Time to use up that Borders gift card!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:51 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
Hurried up and used those Borders gift cards, just in case. Ordered: The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks and Giants of the Ocean by Susan Casey; Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand; Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff; pre-ordered the paperback version of The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee and got my own copy of Just Kids by Patti Smith, one of my new favorite books. Excited for all of them.

Yeah, I had a lot of gift card value left - my father-in-law knows how much I love books!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times
My Bible. Now it's time to head off to work.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM

74 posts, read 72,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
I was just checking up on today's news and heard that the planned sale of Borders books fell through and Borders now plans to liquidate. This saddens me as I like Borders more than Barnes & Noble, which has it's own problems.

UPDATE 4-Borders, unable to find white knight, to liquidate | Reuters

I know this has nothing to do about which book I'm reading, but might affect which book I might be reading in the future. Time to use up that Borders gift card!
I hate to see any bookstore close, but this means it's time for us to start supporting our independent book stores again (if there are any left!). Independent business are really the heart and soul of our communities.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:54 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
I hate to see any bookstore close, but this means it's time for us to start supporting our independent book stores again (if there are any left!). Independent business are really the heart and soul of our communities.
I totally agree . Independent businesses are the backbone of America and we really should not support the big box stores like Wal mart because they push the mom and pop stores outta business .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books