Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 01:43 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,908 times

Advertisements

Just started James Patterson's The Midnight Club today and am enjoying it so far. I like his books, because the each book is different, the plot twists are so unexpected, and mystery is my favorite genre.

I was in the middle of one of Deborah MacGillivray's books but had to quit. Plain romances bore me, they all seem to follow the same formula: Boy meets girl, lightning bolt of sexual energy flows between the two at first glance, there's a major issue that has to be overcome, usually the guy comes around to her side, and finally, at long last, their explosive passion overcomes them, and they live happily ever after. Boring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 05:23 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Just finished A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore. I'm not even sure if I liked it or not. The writing is lovely and the main character was endearing, but some of the plot twists were too out there and unbelievable.

Just started The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and am looking forward to getting more into it.
I also didn't really know where I stood with A Gate at the Stairs. In fact, I don't remember if I even finished it.

So, if we use that one book to determine that we share the same taste, then I feel confident in tellling you that you're going to think that The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is TERRIFIC.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
I just can't seem to find the time (or in other words, I can't seem to get away from the computer in my idle time when I should be reading for some of it) so I am still about to finish Clear Springs which I am enjoying and have been reading for like 3 weeks already.
I picked up OPEN by Andre Agassi on reserve at the library for if I ever do finish Clear Springs...........and I just got a notice that The History of Love is ready for me to pick up at the library. I sure wish I could read again. and its no reflection on the books- because I have really enjoyed what I have been reading.....
hanging my head in shame as I type on the laptop................

Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,645,771 times
just started smokin' seventeen by janet evanovich.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
I haven't quite finished the book yet, and hopefully I don't jinx myself back into the non-reading curse Dandj put on me, but I am almost halfway through Afterlight by Alex Scarrow.

It's set in the UK after an oil crisis and subsequent wars that leave the world without oil. Britain has no stores of food apparently and that sets off riots that destroy the country. The story switches between the time when the actual oil crisis happens, and the story of a small group of survivors ten years after the fact.

These survivors find refuge from all the riots on an oil drilling rig in the North Sea and eventually form a life there. What happens next, I do not know but so far I would give the book a solid B.

This is a post-apocalyptic book but not one of those written by writers you feel just can't wait for the end of the world. It's a well-imagined story, not one with an agenda.

The author has written another book which is along the same lines - Last Light. Last Light is the first book. The title would suggest that Afterlight is a sequel and it would have been nice to read the first book first, but Afterlight is the book that fell into my hands. If it is a sequel, it doesn't seem to matter and I don't get the impression that I'm missing something that might have been in the first book.

I also have on my reading list Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue - The Untold History of English by John McWhorter, and The Post-American World by Fareed Zakaria. I skimmed a few pages of both of them and am really looking forward to reading them. However, I can't let my gaze stray too long from the book I am currently reading, or I might get lost again and never finish a book ever again.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I haven't quite finished the book yet, and hopefully I don't jinx myself back into the non-reading curse Dandj put on me, but I am almost halfway through Afterlight by Alex Scarrow.
I didn't do it on purpose.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
If any of you have not read the bird sisters by rebecca rasmussen please do so it is a terrific book especially if you love animals which I do .

Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
I am reading a Kindle mystery called THE FRIEND REQUEST. It shows the dangers of people being able to hack into accounts, especially Facebook, and the dangers of not logging off and of trusting those around you. I'm only about a third of the way through, but I am really glad that I don't have info on Facebook.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,043 times
I have never read anything by Robin Cook. I picked up Toxin by Robin Cook at the Goodwill Store. After reading this book I will never eat another hamburger at a fast food restaurant.

I am in the process now of re-reading John Grisham's books.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times
"A History of Fascism 1914-1945" by Stanley G. Payne

A very fascinating read so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books