Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 12:06 AM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
just started smokin' seventeen by janet evanovich.
I just found this forum.

Evanovich's Seventeen was one of her better ones lately imo. Lots of giggles all the way thru and just very enjoyable.

I love fiction mostly, and read mystery/suspense along with scifi/fantasy and anything else that catches my eye.
I just finished two books that basically ate my brain for two weeks. If you like fantasy, read Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. Excellent, and I cannot wait for #3 which is due out next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 03:54 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
I just finished Unbroken. It's a book that will stay with me for a long time. Remarkable.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I just finished Unbroken. It's a book that will stay with me for a long time. Remarkable.
Is that the one written by Laura or Lauren Hilldebrand ? if so yes I have been wanting to read that and it is on my wish list for my book swap acct . I have heard nothing but good about that book .

Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Just started "The Unit", by Ninni Holmqvist, translated from Swedish. It doesn't strike me as very sophisticated literature, rather contrived and struggling transparently to fill the cracks. Written in simplistic language, but maybe the fault of the translator. Like trite English idioms.

The plot seems to be reminiscent of "Never Let Me Go".

Finding it hard to find something new to read---way too many books written by people who write way too many books. Formulaic.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-22-2011 at 09:53 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM

220 posts, read 282,588 times
I finished Appetite for America: How Visionary Businessman Fred Harvey Built a Railroad Hospitality Empire That Civilized the Wild West by Stephen Fried. I really enjoyed it - it told the history of Fred Harvey and his company, from Fred's beginnings in New York in the early 1800s up until the company was sold in the 1960s, and the legacy today of the company. I've always been interested in Fred Harvey history since I visited the Grand Canyon 20 or so years ago and I very much wish I could have experienced a Harvey House restaurant. The author included old Harvey recipes he found in old Harvey cookbooks in one of the Appendices - how neat! I think the verbose subtitle was changed for the paperback book, if you decided to look for this one.

Now I'm on With The Old Breed by Eugene Sledge.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I just found this forum.

Evanovich's Seventeen was one of her better ones lately imo. Lots of giggles all the way thru and just very enjoyable.

I love fiction mostly, and read mystery/suspense along with scifi/fantasy and anything else that catches my eye.
I just finished two books that basically ate my brain for two weeks. If you like fantasy, read Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. Excellent, and I cannot wait for #3 which is due out next year.
I haven't read Seventeen yet. Stephanie Plum has hopeless bounty hunter ability but always gets her man. I would like to have Ranger as my best friend!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
I just read The Shepherd of the Hills by Harold Bell Wright. I think. I don't care enough to look it up. I had to read it for book club...I think we should revoke the title-choosing privileges of some one!!

I had finishing a book at night, & not having something else on hand to read. So I picked up The Stand again. Like always, so good.

I forgot I planned on reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks before I saw my aunt this summer! We were planning on discussing it at our family reunion. It sounds like a great read.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:53 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,646 times
Just finished Michael Crichton's "A Case of Need", another good read! Now, I'm reading Thunderheart, Lowell Charters' novelization of the movie of the same name starring Val Kilmer, Sam Shepherd and Graham Greene. Great movie!

Old 07-23-2011, 05:32 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Yay finished Clear Springs which was quite good. Now I am on a roll. going to start OPEN (Agassi)...... and then hopefully continue reading so I can "conversate" with ya'all about, you know, books I am reading.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:47 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just started "The Unit", by Ninni Holmqvist, translated from Swedish. It doesn't strike me as very sophisticated literature, rather contrived and struggling transparently to fill the cracks. Written in simplistic language, but maybe the fault of the translator. Like trite English idioms.

The plot seems to be reminiscent of "Never Let Me Go".

Finding it hard to find something new to read---way too many books written by people who write way too many books. Formulaic.
The Unit is one of my favorite books. I think it appealed to me because of the ages of the various characters. I also thought it was a novel concept although it did remind me of Logan's Run from time to time. I would not have been one of the "necessary" and can really identify with the folks in the book. The only time I cried in the book was when the dog was mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books