Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Reputation: 9858

Advertisements

I'm not sure how this book came to my attention but somehow I heard about Among Others by Jo Walton. The front blurb by Cory Doctorow says, "A hymnal for the clever and odd - an inspiration and a lifeline to anyone who has ever felt in the world, but not of it."

It is billed as fantasy, but so far it is a different kind of fantasy and I have no idea yet where the writer is going with this. It is a coming-of-age story of a girl in an English boarding school. It is written from her POV, and the marvelous thing about it is that it so faithfully renders the thoughts of girls her age but in relation to her love of reading science fiction and fantasy. So far it seems like the book is about the character's discovery of books.

At this point, I have no idea whether there is any other fantasy element in it. Usually a reader has a hint of where a story is going, but I truly have no idea about this book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I have not read Middlesex but I have read the other two. I decided to read The Poisonwood Bible because so many people were raving about it. The premise didn't appeal to me at all but once I started the book I could not put it down. I had my first laugh in that book when she wrote of the mother taking all those packages of cake mix to The Congo. It's one of those books that easily combines humor and pathos in such a smooth manner. I loved it and I think in years to come it will be considered a classic. I tried to read two more of her books but could not get into them. They were too heavy for me....I don't mean in plot but rather in the characters. They were plodding.

I felt the same about The Poisonwood Bible. I had received it for Christmas and I wasn't sure about it. Then I started reading and before I knew it, I had read the whole thing. The whole attitude of providing what my husband calls "fur caps for Africans" was so familiar to me. I don't come from a family of readers but that book was passed around by all my sisters and read. Unfortunately along the passing-along line, it was also lost. Grrrr. That is one book I would like to reread to see what I think about it the second time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Reputation: 62766
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm not sure how this book came to my attention but somehow I heard about Among Others by Jo Walton. The front blurb by Cory Doctorow says, "A hymnal for the clever and odd - an inspiration and a lifeline to anyone who has ever felt in the world, but not of it."

It is billed as fantasy, but so far it is a different kind of fantasy and I have no idea yet where the writer is going with this. It is a coming-of-age story of a girl in an English boarding school. It is written from her POV, and the marvelous thing about it is that it so faithfully renders the thoughts of girls her age but in relation to her love of reading science fiction and fantasy. So far it seems like the book is about the character's discovery of books.

At this point, I have no idea whether there is any other fantasy element in it. Usually a reader has a hint of where a story is going, but I truly have no idea about this book.
I'll be very interested in how you feel about the book when you finish it. The reviews are mixed on amazon but the ones that are raves are wonderfully written and make the book very appealing to me.

I think it sounds like a very good book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Lexington Ky
891 posts, read 3,052,560 times
Reputation: 526
I just finished "Driving with Dead People". It was a very sad but well written memoir. I seem to be on a jag of reading books that are gripping but sad. I'm starting "State of Wonder" today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Utah
1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Reputation: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I felt the same about The Poisonwood Bible. I had received it for Christmas and I wasn't sure about it. Then I started reading and before I knew it, I had read the whole thing. The whole attitude of providing what my husband calls "fur caps for Africans" was so familiar to me. I don't come from a family of readers but that book was passed around by all my sisters and read. Unfortunately along the passing-along line, it was also lost. Grrrr. That is one book I would like to reread to see what I think about it the second time around.
I discovered this book about 10 years ago. I loved it then. I've since read it approximately once a year...it gets better every time. It has so many layers! And since learning more about African history/politics I have gotten even more out of it.

Currently I have 4 copies on my shelf. I buy it whenever I see it at a thriftshop so I can pass it on & will still have a copy for myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 PM
 
169 posts, read 526,229 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I'm starting "State of Wonder" today.
That was my first Patchett book, and I enjoyed her writing even though I don't usually like this type of writing. But I didn't like the ending
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 PM
 
2,271 posts, read 2,649,652 times
Reputation: 3298
Pursuing Holiness in the Lord by Jonathan Edwards (1703 - 1758)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Coastal North Carolina
220 posts, read 282,608 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well these lists are great; some more to add to my to be read list. ( I am going through a "high functioning" version of the cannot read problem=reading but so slowly and infrequently that each book is taking close to a month even though I am actually enjoying them).
HA! I've been feeling the exact same way lately. I just read a great book but it took me forever. I'm trying to remember that as long as I'm reading and progressing through the book, it's better than not reading at all.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 01:51 AM
 
216 posts, read 57,488 times
Reputation: 45
I'm currently reading two. The first one is Paul Ferris's Vendetta. The story about crime in Scotland. The other is the Christine Keeler: My Story, where she sets the record straight about herself. Both good reads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Reputation: 62766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig29 View Post
I'm currently reading two. The first one is Paul Ferris's Vendetta. The story about crime in Scotland. The other is the Christine Keeler: My Story, where she sets the record straight about herself. Both good reads.
I remember the Profumo-Keeler affair. What a mess for England's Parliament. Thanks for mentioning the book. I plan to read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top