Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 02:10 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Mormon Murders. It's old (found it in a box and don't know where I got it), published in 1988, but it's a good true crime story about a Mormon forger who created documents that he sold to the Mormon church as genuine, and then he set off a couple of bombs that killed two people trying to cover his tracks when people started to get suspicious.
I read that one years ago. It's pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 06:15 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Mormon Murders. It's old (found it in a box and don't know where I got it), published in 1988, but it's a good true crime story about a Mormon forger who created documents that he sold to the Mormon church as genuine, and then he set off a couple of bombs that killed two people trying to cover his tracks when people started to get suspicious.
I remember reading that book - the forger's name was Mark Hoffman. I have since seen several documentaries about him as well.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times
Small world... I enjoyed that book too. It's funny what some folks do in the name of religion...any religion.

I just finished Mike Wallace's 2nd book, Between You and Me. DH got it for me at a used book store; I didn't think I'd like it, but I really did enjoy it. It was kind of neat, reliving the interviews that I watched on 60 Minutes oh, so many years ago.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:05 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,102 times
Rght now I'm reading Bag of Bones by Stephen King and having a terrible time getting into it. Just finished Next by Michael Crichton and it was really good!

Old 07-31-2011, 05:17 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,124 times
Based on some of the comments on this thread I recently picked up Jodi Picoult's book Sing You Home. It wasn't bad, so I then tried another of her books - Vanishing Acts. So far, I'm enjoying this one even more. Makes me glad I stumbled onto this forum as I don't know if I would have tried any of her books otherwise.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:58 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,741 times
Finished these books in July (I know, I went a little nuts with reading this month!):

Andrade, Carlos
- Ha’ena: Through the Eyes of the Ancestors
Non-fiction, about the Ha'ena area of northern Kaua'i.

Braun, Lilian Jackson
- The Cat Who Could Read Backwards
- The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern
- The Cat Who Turned On and Off
Fiction, first three cozy mysteries in the Cat Who series starring a newspaper reporter and his cats.

Charters, Lowell
- Thunderheart
Fiction, half-native FBI agent is assigned to solve the murder of a Native American man on the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota. Great movie starring Val Kilmer and Graham Greene.

Clark, Mary Higgins
- The Second Time Around
Fiction, financial correspondent is assigned to report on a murder case of a prominent cancer researcher.

Crichton, Michael
- Disclosure
- A Case of Need
Fiction, mystery revolving around a Seattle company merger and a sexual harrassment case, movie starring Michael Douglas and Demi Moore; medical mystery.

Davidson, Diane Mott
- Catering to Nobody
- Dying for Chocolate
- The Cereal Murders
- The Last Suppers
Fiction, first four books in the Goldy Culinary cozy mystery series with recipes.

Evanovich, Janet
- Sizzling Sixteen
Fiction, sixteenth book in the very funny Stephanie Plum bounty hunter cozy mystery series.

Fielding, Helen
- Bridget Jones’s Diary
Fiction, diary of a year in a woman's life, movie starring Renee Zellweger, Colin Firth, and Hugh Grant.

Galenorn, Yasmine
- Night Veil
Fiction, second book in the Indigo Court paranormal urban fantasy series (great series, as are all of her books!)

Loebel-Fried, Caren
- Hawaiian Legends of Dreams
Non-fiction, book of Hawaiian legends that involve dreams, along with narrative explaining the Hawaiian deep connection with dreams.

Maillet, G. M.
- Death of a Cozy Writer
Fiction, first book in the St. Just English cozy mystery about a lord of the manor and his offspring.

Noyes, Martha
- Then There Were None
Non-fiction, chronicles the effect of non-natives on the Hawaiian people, very informative, short book, documentary movie by the same name.

Patterson, James
- The Midnight Club
- Along Came a Spider
- Jack and Jill
- See How They Run
Fiction, first four books in the Alex Cross mystery series, dark and very intricate.

Roberts, Nora
- Blood Brothers
Fiction, first book in the Sign of Seven paranormal trilogy involving three young boys who become men, the women in their lives, and the terrible force they have to fight.

Winton, Tim
- Blueback
Fiction, charming tale about an Australian woman and her son living off the ocean.

Reading these books now:

Cornwell, Patricia
- Post-Mortem (reading)

Malone, Nancy M.
- Walking a Literary Labyrinth: A Spirituality of Reading (reading)

Old 08-01-2011, 08:26 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I'm reading Just Kids by Patti Smith.

It's about her relationship with Robert Maplethorpe. I have to admit that I had never heard of Patti Smith and had only sketchy info on Maplethorpe.

I got the book because of the posts in this forum.

It's truly lovely. She has such an ability to put an experience on paper. Her writing is poetic. I fear this will be eventually a sad one but oh, the trip from now to then is going to be a very touching one.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 PM

289 posts, read 569,687 times
Othello for my English Comp II class and The Vampire Academy book 6 "The Last Sacrifice" for myself.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
A non-fiction history book:

Where The Sun Never Shines: A History Of America's Bloody Coal Industry by Priscilla Long (1991: Paragon House).

Living in Pennsylvania I have an interest in the brutally hard lives of the anthracite coal miners of the region that included the cities and towns of Pottsville, Tamaqua, Shamokin, Hazelton, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Carbondale, etc. It is the history of industrial greed and corruption.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:37 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I finished The Post-American World by Zakaria and now I'm about halfway through and just have to tell you guys about this book - Lord of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon. Her writing is what happens when you cross Cormac McCarthy with Neruda - it is absolutely blowing me away. It's brilliant. I could rave about it for days. I can't remember when a book last so excited me.

Lord of Misrule won the National Book Award in 2010 but somehow I never heard of it. It's set in the horse-racing world but I can't imagine that you'd have to be interested in horse racing to be enthralled by this book. She alternates the laconic McCarthy style in her West Virginia characters with poetic discourses that just levitate the reader. That makes it hard for me to quote from the book because quoting from her poetic passages doesn't begin to describe her other style. I don't even know why this book works with these two different styles playing against each other but it does.

Here's one passage where the female character is rubbing down a horse:

She rubbed in a round, fingerpainting motion, but hard, feeling for some remotely erotic synapse of z's from the ends of her fingers into his bones and muscles, which wasn't as easy through the pink gunny as it had always been barehanded with Pelter. She had to slow down time, go into a kind of trance state where sweet electricity pooled at her nerve endings like nectar on the pistil of a honeysuckle.

Book blurbs should be taken with a grain of salt but the LA Times hit the nail on the head with "...Gordon's language is so textured that her pages seem three-dimensional."

I don't know if it is possible to say anything more lovely than that about a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books