Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Finally getting around to Stieg Larsson's "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
"Eaters of the Dead" by Michael Crichton. Then I'm going to start reading the "Hammer and the Cross" series by Harry Harrison.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:43 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
Intervention by Robin Cook

Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM

74 posts, read 72,974 times
Default Wendy and the Lost Boys

Just started reading this humorous novel Wendy and the Lost Boys by Barbara Silkstone. It was a .99 cent download on Amazon (ebook) so I figured, why not? (Don't confuse it with a book by the same title about Wendy Wasserstein). I'm up to chapter 4 and I can't stop laughing.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished The Post-American World by Zakaria and now I'm about halfway through and just have to tell you guys about this book - Lord of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon. Her writing is what happens when you cross Cormac McCarthy with Neruda - it is absolutely blowing me away. It's brilliant. I could rave about it for days. I can't remember when a book last so excited me.

Lord of Misrule won the National Book Award in 2010 but somehow I never heard of it. It's set in the horse-racing world but I can't imagine that you'd have to be interested in horse racing to be enthralled by this book. She alternates the laconic McCarthy style in her West Virginia characters with poetic discourses that just levitate the reader. That makes it hard for me to quote from the book because quoting from her poetic passages doesn't begin to describe her other style. I don't even know why this book works with these two different styles playing against each other but it does.

Here's one passage where the female character is rubbing down a horse:

She rubbed in a round, fingerpainting motion, but hard, feeling for some remotely erotic synapse of z's from the ends of her fingers into his bones and muscles, which wasn't as easy through the pink gunny as it had always been barehanded with Pelter. She had to slow down time, go into a kind of trance state where sweet electricity pooled at her nerve endings like nectar on the pistil of a honeysuckle.

Book blurbs should be taken with a grain of salt but the LA Times hit the nail on the head with "...Gordon's language is so textured that her pages seem three-dimensional."

I don't know if it is possible to say anything more lovely than that about a book.
I see that you're out of your "I can't read" funk! I'm happy for you!

If everything goes as planned (oh please, God, let things go as planned!), I'll be out of mine on August 22. I'm really looking forward to that.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished Patti Smith's Just Kids today.

It is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. I feel as if someone very important in my life has died.

Took a brief detour and read the play Our Town by Thornton Wilder. It took me about 2 hours this evening. It's interesting to compare reading it through the eyes of a 60+ person compared to my first reading at age 16. Yes, there is a different reaction this time around.

Now I have started Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey.

I chuckled at his written remark before he begins his story:

"Nothing in this book should be considered acurate or reliable."

Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Just started reading Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs

Amazon.com: Naked Lunch (9780802119261): William S. Burroughs, David Ulin: Books

Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

It is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. I feel as if someone very important in my life has died.
I absolutely loved this book. Its one of my favourites... highly recommend anyone to read it. What a beautiful relationship they had

I am reading:
Driving with Plato: The Meaning of Life's Milestones.

A simplified guide to philosophy, interesting in parts but at the moment failing to grab me...

Old 08-04-2011, 07:25 AM

74 posts, read 72,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

Took a brief detour and read the play Our Town by Thornton Wilder. It took me about 2 hours this evening. It's interesting to compare reading it through the eyes of a 60+ person compared to my first reading at age 16. Yes, there is a different reaction this time around.

Now I have started Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey.

I chuckled at his written remark before he begins his story:

"Nothing in this book should be considered acurate or reliable."
Patti Smith the singer? I didn't know she'd written a book. She's one of my idols so I will have to seek it out. To me, she is one of the greatest poets of our time.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:26 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
If everything goes as planned (oh please, God, let things go as planned!), I'll be out of mine on August 22. I'm really looking forward to that.
I hope you get back to reading then too!! I am always looking to see what you have to say in this thread.

I am currently reading "Jane Eyre". I've never read it, which kind of surprises me since I took about 5000 (ok not literally) lit classes in college. Anyway, I am enjoying it.

I still have to find Jhumpa Lahiri and I haven't been to the library yet to look. We've had a lot going on lately.

I did finish "Life of Pi", and while I get why people love it, I only thought it as good. I don't think it would fit into my top 10 or 15. But I am passing it on to a friend with a good recommendation.

I also read "The Guernsey Literay and Potato Peel Society" and am ready to move to Guernsey! I LOVED those characters!!

I also read "The Blind Assassain", "House Rules", "Handle With Care", "Bean Trees", "Pigs in Heaven", and "The Curious INcident of the Dog in the Night-time". I feel like I've still forgotten one, but can't remember what it is.

I'm trying to get through some of the books on my shelves before I tackle so many I want to read on my iPad. Just as I was making a dent in my shelves, my friend and my sister gave me more. Not that I'm complaining but I really need to just become a hermit for a year and get through a lot of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books