Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 09:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I hope you get back to reading then too!! I am always looking to see what you have to say in this thread.

I am currently reading "Jane Eyre". I've never read it, which kind of surprises me since I took about 5000 (ok not literally) lit classes in college. Anyway, I am enjoying it.

I still have to find Jhumpa Lahiri and I haven't been to the library yet to look. We've had a lot going on lately.

I did finish "Life of Pi", and while I get why people love it, I only thought it as good. I don't think it would fit into my top 10 or 15. But I am passing it on to a friend with a good recommendation.

I also read "The Guernsey Literay and Potato Peel Society" and am ready to move to Guernsey! I LOVED those characters!!

I also read "The Blind Assassain", "House Rules", "Handle With Care", "Bean Trees", "Pigs in Heaven", and "The Curious INcident of the Dog in the Night-time". I feel like I've still forgotten one, but can't remember what it is.

I'm trying to get through some of the books on my shelves before I tackle so many I want to read on my iPad. Just as I was making a dent in my shelves, my friend and my sister gave me more. Not that I'm complaining but I really need to just become a hermit for a year and get through a lot of these.
Thank you!!!

I do hope you find the two Jhumpa Lahiri short-story books. So, so, SO good!

Oh, and after this move to MA, and after I feel ready for another move, I'll go to Guernsey with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
[quote Oh, and after this move to MA, and after I feel ready for another move, I'll go to Guernsey with you! [/quote]

Oh yes, count me in on the Guernsey trip!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I read the book a few years ago and always recommend it.... I don't remember the specifics too well, mostly I just remember it being different and incredibly sweet... and that I too wanted to go to Guernsey. Count me in on the ever expanding class trip to Guernsey~

Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
[quote Oh, and after this move to MA, and after I feel ready for another move, I'll go to Guernsey with you!
Oh yes, count me in on the Guernsey trip![/quote]

Me too, me too...waving arm wildly.

I loved that book and would love to see Guernsey.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times
I'm reading the Book of Enoch. (by Enoch)

Old 08-04-2011, 09:40 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
Patti Smith the singer? I didn't know she'd written a book. She's one of my idols so I will have to seek it out. To me, she is one of the greatest poets of our time.
Then you just HAVE to read Just Kids. Beautiful, heartfelt, absolutely amazing. It's now one of my most favorite books. It's a memoir, not her normal poetry, but I am confident you will love it just the same. I didn't expect to love this book but I do.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman. I think it's a beautifully written book.
I really enjoy Alice Hoffman's books, but I have not read any awhile, thanks for the reminder.

Also, thanks to everyone who posted about Just Kids by Patti Smith. I have been waiting for this book to come out in paperback. I've long admired her and look forward to reading her memoir.

I just finished In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson, who also wrote the suspenseful (and absolutely true!) work, The Devil in the White City.

His latest nonfiction is the story of an American family, the Dodds, who move to Berlin in 1933, when William Dodd is tapped by FDR to be the American Ambassador to Germany amid the gathering thunderclouds of WWII.

Obviously the reader knows what is to come, but there is still plenty of tension and suspense build-up.

There is much about the Dodds' daughter, party girl Martha, who, after leaving a husband back in New York, gallivants around Berlin with Nazis, becomes involved with several fascinating men, and writes letters back home to Thornton Wilder and Carl Sandburg. There is also the brutality of "the Jewish problem", the growing horror of being sent to "protective custody," and the political backbiting and much worse among the members of Hitler's SS and Gestapo who plot against the Stormtroopers.

By the time William Dodd truly understands what is going on and tries to campaign against it, it's too late.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,083 times
Terror in the Mind of God: The Global Rise of Religious Violence by Mark Juergensmeyer and The Dark Light by Mette Newth.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:56 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Also, thanks to everyone who posted about Just Kids by Patti Smith. I have been waiting for this book to come out in paperback. I've long admired her and look forward to reading her memoir.
Not sure if you're in the US or not, but it is out in paperback here.

Thanks for the info on In The Garden of Beasts. I hope to read it soon.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Just started reading Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs

Amazon.com: Naked Lunch (9780802119261): William S. Burroughs, David Ulin: Books
I love William S. Burroughs.

I am reading my first book in ages. A free download on iBook called The Lonely Millionaire. Forgot who it is by, but it is nice to renew my old favorite past time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books