Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 01:47 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,072,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Aravind Adiga's "White Tiger". A rather immaturely written book, intended to be amusing and sometimes is, and it does have a lot of interesting insights into life in India.
I have read Mani Dixit's "The Wake of the White Tiger" about the days of Rana rule in Nepal. Not at all amusing and quite sobering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 01:49 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,072,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Dark Victory, the Life of Bette Davis.

I take time off from more serious books by reading about Hollywood's "Golden Age" actors, actresses, movies, directors etc. Especially bios...1930's, 40's, even into the 50's. Like Dorothy Dandridge, a fascinating life and book.

Anyone have suggestions you have enjoyed?
I heartily recommend "My Wicked, Wicked Ways", the autobiography by Errol Flynn.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:04 PM

7,215 posts, read 9,171,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I bought this book while in West Yellowstone last year, and was so captivated that I devoured the first of the included books (it is a compilation of his books over the last twenty years): Basin and Range. Then we returned home from our two-year travels, and it's sat on my bookshelf, waiting patiently.

I picked it up last week, and it isn't quite as captivating, probably because it does require a level of thought and attention that is more difficult with all I have going on, right now. I'm setting it back on the shelf until I can give it the attention and respect it deserves.

That said, I still highly recommend it to anyone interested in geology, or even just interested in why our road cuts are so diverse. If you've ever wondered about plate tectonics, it's another reason to check it out.

Meanwhile, I am reverting to less ambitious reading picked up from my library's "Choice Reads" section: Sarah Blake's "The Postmistress." Since I haven't yet opened it, it's too soon to report on that one....

Have a nice day, and make time for reading. 8)
Thanks. I added it to my wish list for later in the year.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:43 PM

220 posts, read 279,960 times
Finished With The Old Breed - At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge. Fantastic book, particularly if you enjoy war memoirs. Sledge served with the 1st Marine Division during the Pacific battles of Peleliu and Okinawa of World War II. It's acknowledged as one of the best WWII memoirs and was used for Ken Burns's documentary The War and the HBO miniseries The Pacific. So glad I finally read it.

Next up is Moneyball by Michael Lewis. I want to read it before the movie comes out next month.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,169,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
Finished With The Old Breed - At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge. Fantastic book, particularly if you enjoy war memoirs. Sledge served with the 1st Marine Division during the Pacific battles of Peleliu and Okinawa of World War II. It's acknowledged as one of the best WWII memoirs and was used for Ken Burns's documentary The War and the HBO miniseries The Pacific. So glad I finally read it.

Next up is Moneyball by Michael Lewis. I want to read it before the movie comes out next month.

Midge, have you read Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides? It's about "The Great Raid" our military pulled off during WWII to rescue the survivors of the Bataan Death March. It is really a fine book.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:11 PM

220 posts, read 279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Midge, have you read Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides? It's about "The Great Raid" our military pulled off during WWII to rescue the survivors of the Bataan Death March. It is really a fine book.
I actually have a copy of this book on the bookshelf at home but haven't read it yet. Picked it up from the used bookstore at the library because it looked interesting. Thanks for the recommendation, Ketabcha!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:17 AM

393 posts, read 1,489,985 times
Currently reading a non-fiction by Nancy M. Malone called "Walking a Literary Labyrinth: A Spirituality of Reading". The author is an Ursuline nun, and the book describes her relationship with reading and books. It's really quite interesting, especially for her personal stories.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM

18 posts, read 35,334 times
I just finished Heaven is for Real...it was a fantastic easy read that was well worth my summer reading list. Some may be skeptical, others may not. I found it sweet and believable.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:35 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,156,866 times
I just started "The Illuminati" by Larry Burkett. If it doesn't start to get interesting soon, I will set it aside and start another.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,726,345 times
I just got World Without End the sequel to Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. 1000+ pages but I'm anticipating it will be as addictive as the first book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books