Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 02:34 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times

Advertisements

Just finished "Distant Land of my Father" by Bo Cladwell. Good Read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
One Day. A book club selection. Not my pick, but good so far.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:13 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,018,676 times
The Confession by John Grisham. A good page turner by him, as usual.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Dinner at the Homesick Cafe....read it years ago, so funny. Ms. Tyler captures the odd and funny in us all....while we are reading and saying "yes, that is my dad" or friend or neighbor etc., she has us laughing and crying and learning all over again what it is like to be human on planet earth.

Breathing Lessons won the Pulitzer prize for Fiction in 1989.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
That's such a sweet endorsement, I think I am going to read that.
I think the only book I read by Tyler was soemthing at the homesick cafe/restaurant?something and I sure did enjoy that one.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
There is something about Anne Tyler's books that makes me feel like I have taken a "feel good" pill (whatever that is).

The Accidental Tourist had me in stitches in one chapter and maudlin in the next but the "up" part of her writing style and stories far surpasses the "down" part. And, as my mother always says to me "It takes both rain and sunshine to make a rainbow." Tyler is a brilliant writer. Her character development is just about the best I have ever read. Seriously, when I finish one of her books I feel like I personally know the characters she has written about. I not only know them but I care about them. Heck, it doesn't even take me that long. The first chapter seals the deal for me.

I met some friends for lunch today and they remarked on how happy I seemed. I'm usually happy but I guess I was bubbly today. When we explored the reason why we figured out it was due to Tyler's book Breathing Lessons, which I am reading. When a writer makes me feel that good I just have to love her/him.

GBH, I just ordered the one you mentioned. Thank you.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Oh how sweet..wish AT could hear how her book affects you!! Bubbly! A true compliment.

"Celestial Navigation" and "Morgan's Passing" are 2 more done prior to her big-hit novel A. Tourist. Then I also love "Patchwork Planet" & "Ladder of years".....

Have fun!

quote=Ketabcha;20501581]There is something about Anne Tyler's books that makes me feel like I have taken a "feel good" pill (whatever that is).

The Accidental Tourist had me in stitches in one chapter and maudlin in the next but the "up" part of her writing style and stories far surpasses the "down" part. And, as my mother always says to me "It takes both rain and sunshine to make a rainbow." Tyler is a brilliant writer. Her character development is just about the best I have ever read. Seriously, when I finish one of her books I feel like I personally know the characters she has written about. I not only know them but I care about them. Heck, it doesn't even take me that long. The first chapter seals the deal for me.

I met some friends for lunch today and they remarked on how happy I seemed. I'm usually happy but I guess I was bubbly today. When we explored the reason why we figured out it was due to Tyler's book Breathing Lessons, which I am reading. When a writer makes me feel that good I just have to love her/him.

GBH, I just ordered the one you mentioned. Thank you.[/quote]

Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 PM

380 posts, read 961,599 times
Miami Babylon.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:21 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
I love Anne Tyler too. If you guys like her, you would also like Mary McGarry Morris. I'm reading her last book;(A Hole in the Universe) I've read all of the others. I sure am going to miss her. Several movies have been made from her books, but I haven't seen them. K, you would absolutely love her character development. She's incredible.

I'm also reading The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty. This book is so good that I went to Amazon hoping to see more books that she's written. She has 2 more, The Rest of Her Life and While I'm Falling.

I also recommend Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock. As a seasoned reader, I'm rarely surprised by the ending of a book. Thats why I quit reading "whodunits" years ago. I was shocked by the ending to Me & Emma. I hadn't read any reviews about it like I usually do, so I wasn't expecting this shocker of an ending. After I read it, I went back and read some of the reviews and others were equally thrown for a loop. It's a very good book.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:38 AM

523 posts, read 654,491 times
Still reading "Pillars of the Earth". Can't quite seem to get into it.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:10 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished Lord of Misrule, an excellent book and am now starting Joker One, by Donovan Campbell. It's the story of a Marine platoon. I've only read a few pages and the writing feels a little strained, probably because it is the author's first book. Or maybe I'm comparing it to Lord of Misrule, where the writing was effortless. All the blurbs on the back praise the book (like, of course ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books