Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 PM

260 posts, read 925,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
My friend was reading Twilight last year. Raving about it, telling everyone they should read it. Well, that usually turns me off! And hearing that it was about a vampire? Nah. Next thing I know, everywhere I go, I see women and teen girls reading and talking about these books! Everywhere!! My daughter is usually a slow reader, and she read all 3 in about a week and a half.

So now I've been thinking that if I am going to read it, I'd better do it quick before the movie comes out!
I have only met a few people who read all three of the Twilight books by Stephenie Meyer (Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse) who didn't like them. They are amazing books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:48 PM

260 posts, read 925,907 times
I just finished reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer... it's at the moment my favorite book. It is so good. It's a little slow just starting out, but then it grabs you and won't let go.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:06 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponabri View Post
I have only met a few people who read all three of the Twilight books by Stephenie Meyer (Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse) who didn't like them. They are amazing books.
Okay, after so much talk about Twilight I put it on my to read list.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:11 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,257,964 times
Fleeced
by Dick Morris

Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
Reading "Skinny *******" its a "diet" book and its completely freaking me out. I had no idea the authors were vegans and the chapter on slaughter houses has traumatized me. Its incredibly disturbing.
You didn't read about the meat-packing houses, and the labor force, in HS? As much as I like a hotdog, I give it some thought every time I order one and eat it. Sorry, blue_eyedgirl. An eye-opener, huh?

As for myself, I am headed to the library today, myself, to return these two works from my women in history kick. I think I have burned-myself-out now, and can move on, although I thoroughly enjoyed both Sena Jeter Naslund's Abundance, and John Guy's Queen of Scots. I learned quite a bit from the second one -- to supplement my understanding of the period, and the reigns of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.

I am armed with my list, gleaned from suggestions here, and am ready for something in a different vein -- perhaps lighter reading fare? A fantasy, or comedy, methinks.

Things like the economy, the price of gas and groceries, a daughter's education costs, are looming ahead of me, and I need a diversion.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 AM

687 posts, read 2,032,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Loved it! Did you follow all of the hoop-lah years ago when Lamb discussed how he got the female perspective so well? I liked his second one, too, but since then he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth or something? (Or have I got the two works backwards? I seem to recall now that She's Come Undone was the first?)

Oh well, I really enjoyed them both.
Looks like he's been working on a new one. It's due out November 11th this year.

Tower.com: The Hour I First Believed LP (Paperback) by Wally ...

Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 AM

687 posts, read 2,032,115 times
I have 2 from the library at the moment. I'm almost done with this one. It's the Diary of Petr Ginz. His diary was discovered in 2003 and his sister helped translate it. He was 14 and it's documenting his life leading up to his transport to Theresienstadt.

Amazon.com: The Diary of Petr Ginz: Chava Pressburger, Jonathan Safran Foer, Elena Lappin: Books

And I also have Kindertransport.

Amazon.com: Kindertransport: Olga Levy Drucker: Books

I also am waiting to start Diana Gabaldon's series again. I just finished Outlander and will move onto A Dragonfly in Amber. Love LOVE LOVE this series.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:58 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,074,757 times
I just completed The Other Boleyn Girl and am starting Mary Luke's The Nine Days Queen. This is the story of Lady Jane Grey, who reigned for 9 days as uncrowned Queen Regnant of England after the death of Henry VIII's son Edward.

RDSLOTS, prior to Boleyn Girl, I had just finished John Guy's Queen of Scots.
I enjoyed seeing a different portrayal of Mary Stuart as a strong and intelligent woman rather than a self-absorbed victim.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 AM

631 posts, read 1,885,752 times
"You didn't read about the meat-packing houses, and the labor force, in HS? As much as I like a hotdog, I give it some thought every time I order one and eat it. Sorry, blue_eyedgirl. An eye-opener, huh?"

I read "The Jungle" in HS but I don't think it truely sunk in. It was such an eye-opener to read about it as an adult. It has caused me to examine what I am using to feed my body now. I think the authors had a very valid point when they kept stating.."you are what you eat."

Old 07-03-2008, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 10,418 times
I just finished reading Riverside Blues by Erik Tomblin. I loved it! What I enjoyed most was that's an even blend of a love story and a ghost story. I suggest checking it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books