Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,453 times

Advertisements

A Nature Company encyclopedia of Weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
The Song of the Dodo: Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinction by David Quammen. It is going to take me forever to get through, because I've been reading it between books...but it truely is FACINATING. It is about how species evolve on islands. Sorry, I'm not smart enough to convey a more apt description!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 PM

11 posts, read 31,289 times
I'm reading Le Petit Prince now. Although I've read it for many times, I like it best. Each time reading, I can learn something new.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Danco, I think it's good to come up with a systematic way to choose what we hope will be a good read.

My husband has been a 5 book/week man for years. About 6 years ago he started to go to the public library once a week and starting with "A" has checked out 5 or 6 books weekly until he is now up to the "Rs". He periodically goes back through the letters he has covered to see if there are any authors treasures he may missed (other people do check out books, too, I guess!).

He keeps track of all his authors and titles on a computer spreadsheet. A little too methodical for me, but it works for a pencil-pusher type A personality!
I am very impressed with your husband! I think thats a great idea. I also like the idea that someone on here does. s/he goes to the library and picks a book at random. I keep planning to do that, but, there's still so many books on my "to be read" list, and I still have a lot in my bookcase to read, etc...........
I would love to see that spreadsheet of your husbands books!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Finished "The Doctor's Wife" - better than I expected.
Now I'm halfway through "Desert Spear" by Peter V. Brett. Not so good as the first volume of this series.
I've read DRs. Wife! I'm reading American Rust by Philipp Meyer, and lots of magazines because I've let them pile up, as usual.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished Beautiful Boy last night. What a good book!

I just started The Poisonwood Bible.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:57 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,524 times
I finished "Drood" by Dan Simmons yesterday and, hmmm, am not sure how I feel about it. I don't know that I would recommend it to anybody, mainly because it is once again wayyyyy too long, and it took me forever to get through it. I don't know what it is with authors and editors anymore, maybe there aren't any editors that can read? He could have cut out 1/4 of the book and it would have been so much better. Like in "The Terror," there was just needless repetition of mundane things, like how often Wilkie Collins drank his laudanum, and repeating entire sections of Charles Dickens' and Wilkie Collins' books. Oh, and if you ever want to read "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins, don't read this book first, it gives away the entire "mystery" of the book.

At the same time, Dan Simmons has a way of completely putting you into the setting, whether it is hiking across the fields of rural 1800s England with Charles Dickens or crawling through the sewers of London, you are there. And this book really did keep me guessing about what was going on, although the ending was dissatisfying.

So, even though I probably wouldn't recommend it, I am still glad I read it, and I still like this author, but hope someday he finds an editor. Oh, and John Lee narrated again, and he is a great narrator - he really added to the book for me.

With that in mind, I started his "Hyperion" last night, and am very hooked already.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Just picked up Tom Perrotta's "Little Children"

Sadly, I have finished Stieg Larsson's "The Girl Who . . ." trilogy, and now have that empty feeling that I will never find a good book again. It least, it will be a while before I sit up reading until 4:30 am again.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just started The Poisonwood Bible.
I should have known that I wouldn't love it. All the bible references throw me for a loop (and that's not just because I'm Jewish) -- it all just starts blurring before my very eyes.

I put it away for now. Maybe I'll pick it up again another time.

For now, I'm reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I fell asleep while reading it last night but I attribute that to being very, very sleepy rather than the book being boring -- it's charming me so far.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I should have known that I wouldn't love it. All the bible references throw me for a loop (and that's not just because I'm Jewish) -- it all just starts blurring before my very eyes.

I put it away for now. Maybe I'll pick it up again another time.

For now, I'm reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I fell asleep while reading it last night but I attribute that to being very, very sleepy rather than the book being boring -- it's charming me so far.
I would like to read that miss peregrines home book . currently im reading the outlander by gil adamson .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books