U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 AM

8,111 posts, read 7,398,095 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe I didn't post this book before now, because I loved it when I read it and couldn't say enough good things about it.

I bring it up now because I just listened to the author's interview during a KQED podcast, dated 9/12, and found her to be articulate and engaging as an interviewee as well.

I recommend the book AND the podcast, and plan to look for her other books now, too.

Podcast link: 'Cleopatra: A Life': Forum | KQED Public Media for Northern CA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 01:26 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,353,633 times
For anyone interested in the epic fantasy genre.

I just started a book, 'The Way of Kings' by Brandon Sanderson, and I can already tell its going to be one of my favorite series. Highly reccomend it and I'm not even halfway through (though the book is over 1200 pages with smaller pring, so its like i've read 3 sookie stackhouse 'novels' already lol)

Be warned its a planned 10 book (give or take a couple) series and this is just the first one, so you could be waiting awhile..but he seems to churn books out pretty fast and supposedly this is his 'baby' so I expect alot of attention to it, especially after the last WoT book is finished.

I've read a lot of fantasy books, and this book so far ranks ahead of most of my favorites already, very good.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:53 PM

15,895 posts, read 17,158,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Never Let Me Go is a nice book but I expected more, maybe because the reviews, as you say, were amazing. That also happens to me when I read a new Murakami's novel and most other current narrative. I should probably stop reading reviews altogether lol.

By the way, the film based on the novel (I'm talking about Never Let Me Go again) is good too, but I had the same problem I had with the book: it left me a little cold because I expected more.
I love the movie and the book. I thought it was interesting that it was explained what she was thinking about when she hugged her pillow and listened to the song. The book explained it but the movie let you draw your own conclusion thinking it had to do with Tommy.

I thought the music in the movie was right on. It was so beautiful and haunting. I wanted to slap the Charlotte Rampling character.

Neither the book nor the movie left me feeling cold. I was totally emotional at the ending of both.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 PM

6,731 posts, read 4,935,275 times
Cutting for Stone. by Abraham Verghese.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:28 PM

169 posts, read 499,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Never Let Me Go is a nice book but I expected more, maybe because the reviews, as you say, were amazing. That also happens to me when I read a new Murakami's novel and most other current narrative. I should probably stop reading reviews altogether lol.

By the way, the film based on the novel (I'm talking about Never Let Me Go again) is good too, but I had the same problem I had with the book: it left me a little cold because I expected more.
I couldn't get into the book, but I liked the movie.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:36 PM

69 posts, read 104,162 times
Right now I'm reading First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. It's pretty amazing. It's funny and original, and a total page turner. I can not put it down. I checked it out from the library, but I'm definitely going to buy a copy for my own collection. It's fantastic.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:11 PM

8,111 posts, read 7,398,095 times
Default The Three Weissmanns of Westport, by Cathleen Schine

This book was a bit dreary in the start and there were times when I wondered why I bothered, but it ended well and I was touched by it. Definitely Chick Lit, but with twists along the way that were touchingly real.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:39 AM

15,895 posts, read 17,158,118 times
I'm reading The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson.

It's a very unusual story and had me from the first page. It slowly unfolds like a...well...like a good book. I'm totally surprised that I like it so much. It's one of those that calls to me on and off during the day when I should be doing something else but want to continue reading it.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:34 AM

74 posts, read 62,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Great book. If you haven't read The Kite Runner by the same author (Khaled Hosseini) you should. Both of these books are on my best of all time list. You are right - Wow.
I just have to say something about The Kite Runner. Beautifully written, yes, and a compelling story though I'm squeamish about some of the subject matter, and who wouldn't be? But I did not like the way it ended and so I can't recommend it as highly as others do. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 31,067,395 times
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books