Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm View Post
So did you think The Hunger Games was like Battle Royale? The premise sounded similar, but is the story really the same? I haven't read BR yet but had finished The Hunger Games series.
I can definitely see where comparisons were made (even though Suzanne Collins said that her inspiration was Greek mythology, reality TV and the Iraq War rather than BR). I thought that THG was better. But at the same time, I read Battle Royale quickly and am glad I did. I think the main difference is that BR is more of a Lord of the Flies-esque look into the pysche in that situation, whereas THG uses the Hunger Games as a tool to tell the bigger story. At least, that's how I'm going to try to intellectualize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM

74 posts, read 72,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I think this book will stay with me forever. The device she uses to help Alice measure her decline -- the questions about where she lives and about her family -- was masterful and heartrending. And the "white butter" for cream cheese -- so clever, so chilling. And her descriptions of John and the children made them seem so real. I thought the youngest daughter -- the one who hadn't gone to college yet -- was the one who understood her mother the best. I also have recommended the book to friends, and particularly to one who is writing a first book and who attended an Oliver Sacks lecture with me.
Great to hear about this one. Goes to show that indy books can be truly great. I've read several really good ones. This one will have to go on my list.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:00 PM

169 posts, read 526,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I can definitely see where comparisons were made (even though Suzanne Collins said that her inspiration was Greek mythology, reality TV and the Iraq War rather than BR). I thought that THG was better. But at the same time, I read Battle Royale quickly and am glad I did. I think the main difference is that BR is more of a Lord of the Flies-esque look into the pysche in that situation, whereas THG uses the Hunger Games as a tool to tell the bigger story. At least, that's how I'm going to try to intellectualize it.
Thanks! I haven't read Lord of the Flies either...

Old 10-05-2011, 03:32 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
The Summoning, by Bentley Little.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:23 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I think this book will stay with me forever. The device she uses to help Alice measure her decline -- the questions about where she lives and about her family -- was masterful and heartrending. And the "white butter" for cream cheese -- so clever, so chilling. And her descriptions of John and the children made them seem so real. I thought the youngest daughter -- the one who hadn't gone to college yet -- was the one who understood her mother the best. I also have recommended the book to friends, and particularly to one who is writing a first book and who attended an Oliver Sacks lecture with me.
Picked up Still Alice from the library based on all of the recommendations here. I started it last evening and am almost finished. I agree - a very moving and compelling description of the decline of this healthy, intelligent, vibrant woman into the abyss of Alzheimer's disease. Scary really...I'm finding myself analyzing my own memory lapses and imagining how I would cope. I am recommending this one for my book group. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Default A good Halloween Story?

This is the first year in many that I haven't found a good read for Halloween. I don't mean techno-thrillers, and I don't read gore, but the good, old fashioned story lines where there are ghosts that creak doors and go bump in the night. I only read these scary books in October, and was hoping someone could recommend their favorites scary story?

Thanks in advance! 8)

Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Picked up Still Alice from the library based on all of the recommendations here. I started it last evening and am almost finished. I agree - a very moving and compelling description of the decline of this healthy, intelligent, vibrant woman into the abyss of Alzheimer's disease. Scary really...I'm finding myself analyzing my own memory lapses and imagining how I would cope. I am recommending this one for my book group. Thanks for the suggestion.
I watched my grandmother suffer from Alzheimer's (actually, in truth, it was the family -- more than her -- who suffered) and, being young at the time, she was frustrating. This was many years ago.

I read Still Alice when it first came out, and I found myself sobbing, wishing that I'd been old enough, mature enough, adult enough to UNDERSTAND what my grandmother was going through, instead of being frustrated by her. "Regrets, I've had a few..."

This book is a terrific read, a great story -- and I think it almost serves as a "textbook" for the family of Alzheimer's victims so that we can better understand what's going on.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:06 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
This is the first year in many that I haven't found a good read for Halloween. I don't mean techno-thrillers, and I don't read gore, but the good, old fashioned story lines where there are ghosts that creak doors and go bump in the night. I only read these scary books in October, and was hoping someone could recommend their favorites scary story?

Thanks in advance! 8)
The Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Thanks in advance! 8)
Ghost Story by Peter Straub

Old 10-05-2011, 07:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,691 times
A Death in Vienna, Daniel Silva
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books