Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 01:19 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times

Advertisements

Four Years in the Stonewall Brigade by John O Casler. I am enjoying it tremendously and can't believe I have never read anything before except excerpts (kind of catchy..LOL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I downloaded my first library book on the Kindle!!!!! YAY!!! Technology is really sweet. I don't even think that I'll return this Kindle. Well, at least I hope that I won't. I really want to like it this time. It won't replace paper books, but I hope it will be a nice addition (and save me money by downloading library books).

ANYWAY!

As soon as I finish Middlesex (only 70 pages to go -- I'm really loving it), I'll start on:

Please Look After Mom (FREE! FROM THE LIBRARY! ON MY KINDLE! which I already might have mentioned ) by Kyung-Sook Shin.

Amazon.com: Please Look After Mom (9780307593917): Kyung-Sook Shin: Books

Sounds good, right?

Happy weekend, everyone!

Old 10-07-2011, 02:24 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,128,844 times
I'm going to have to pay close attention to what you read, DandJ---I also loved Middlesex and Please Look After Mom is on my library queue.

I'm reading and loving Emily Alone by Stewart O'Nan. Amazing how a youngish guy (the author) can depict an 80 yo woman's inner and outer life so well.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I'm going to have to pay close attention to what you read, DandJ---I also loved Middlesex and Please Look After Mom is on my library queue.

I'm reading and loving Emily Alone by Stewart O'Nan. Amazing how a youngish guy (the author) can depict an 80 yo woman's inner and outer life so well.
The pressure! The pressure!

I wish that I kept a list of all of my favorite books...

If you haven't read these, then you should give them a try:

Forever by Pete Hamill
Still Alice by Lisa Genova
A Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus
Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter
The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle
Little Bee and Incendiary, both by Chris Cleave
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
My Life in France by Julia Child
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Interpreter of Maladies and Unaccustomed Earth, both short story collections by Jhumpa Lahiri (I don't even like short stories but these are FANTASTIC)

I wish that I could remember more...

Old 10-07-2011, 02:57 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Thanks, Dawn. I loved Feast of Love. Love Jhumpa Lahiri (and many other Indian writers). I still need to read Bel Canto, but couldn't get through the newest Ann Patchett. Still Alice is on my queue.

Nice to find some literate people who still enjoy reading, be it via book or Kindle.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:02 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,145 times
It's funny, I don't know how many times I bypassed "Middlesex" on my library's website because the description didn't interest me, only to finally check it out and find it to be one of my favorite books.

I finished "The Good Children" by Kate Wilhelm yesterday. I checked it out based on reviews here, and it wasn't until I started listening that I realized I'd already read it!! But I decided to give it another shot, since I didn't remember how it ended. I liked it, not great, not bad, a quick read.

I just downloaded "One Thousand White Women" based on all your reviews here again, hope it's good.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks, Dawn. I loved Feast of Love. Love Jhumpa Lahiri (and many other Indian writers). I still need to read Bel Canto, but couldn't get through the newest Ann Patchett. Still Alice is on my queue.

Nice to find some literate people who still enjoy reading, be it via book or Kindle.

Funny, the new Ann Patchett -- after reading the synopsis -- is not of interest to me at all. I wasn't even planning on trying it.

We've definitely got VERY similar taste in books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
It's funny, I don't know how many times I bypassed "Middlesex" on my library's website because the description didn't interest me, only to finally check it out and find it to be one of my favorite books.

I finished "The Good Children" by Kate Wilhelm yesterday. I checked it out based on reviews here, and it wasn't until I started listening that I realized I'd already read it!! But I decided to give it another shot, since I didn't remember how it ended. I liked it, not great, not bad, a quick read.

I just downloaded "One Thousand White Women" based on all your reviews here again, hope it's good.
I tried reading Middlesex when it first came out in 2002. I hated it. Couldn't get past the first couple of dozen pages. Now, a million years later, I decided to try it again... and I'm loving it.

One Thousand White Women was terrific! Enjoy!!!!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:33 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Who is Beckett?
Simon Beckett, a British writer. Simon Beckett

Old 10-07-2011, 07:05 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times
I'm reading the first book in the Hannah Swensen Mysteries, called Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke. It's a cozy mystery, my favorite genre.

Book Synopsis from the back cover:

No one cooks up a delectable, suspense-filled mystery quite like Hannah Swensen, Joanne Fluke’s dessert-baking, red-haired heroine whose gingersnaps are as tart as her comebacks, and whose penchant for solving crimes—one delicious clue at a time—has made her a bestselling favorite. And it all began on these pages, with a bakery, a murder, and some suddenly scandalous chocolate-chip crunchies. Featuring a bonus short story and brand new, mouthwatering recipes, this limited edition of the very first Hannah Swensen mystery is sure to have readers coming back for seconds…

Hannah Swenson already has her hands full trying to dodge her mother’s attempts to marry her off while running The Cookie Jar, Lake Eden, Minnesota’s most popular bakery. But once Ron LaSalle, the beloved delivery man from the Cozy Cow Dairy, is found murdered behind her bakery with Hannah’s famous Chocolate Chip Crunchies scattered around him, her life just can’t get any worse. Determined not to let her cookies get a bad reputation, she sets out to track down a killer.

Who would have the sheer audacity—and the motive—to kill the most punctual delivery man Hannah ever had? Topping the list is the high school football coach. What exactly was his wife doing, making the rounds with the milkman? Could Max Turner, owner of Cozy Cow Dairy, have had a secret he didn’t want to share with his top employee? The more Hannah snoops, the more suspects turn up. Why has Lake Eden’s most prominent prodigal son, Benton Woodley, just resurfaced? And what about the mysterious Mr. Harris who seemed interested in buying the property next to the dairy, but then disappeared? This is one murder that’s starting to leave a very bad taste in Hannah’s mouth. And if she doesn’t watch her back, Hannah’s sweet life may get burned to a crisp.

Filled with a healthy sprinkling of humor and a delightful assortment of nuts, CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE MURDER serves up a great new mystery series and introduces a delicious, down-home sleuth that mystery readers will surely savor for years to come.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I'm reading Paying the Piper by Simon Wood. It was a $1.99 Kindle book I found on my daily email from eReaderIQ. I recently saw his book Terminated on the same email for $2.99 and enjoyed it so, what the heck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books