Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The Journal Keeper: A Memoir by Phyllis Theroux
Forget it. This is not for me. It's much too choppy and stream of consciousness.

I'll try Dolores Claiborne next, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 AM

74 posts, read 72,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
In the last couple of days, I read John Ajvide Lindqvist's Handling the Undead - I had recently read Let the Right One In, which was supposedly a vampire story, but actually more of a coming-of-age story. I liked the first one so much, I picked up the second one. Handling the Undead is okay, but it is not as moving on a non-zombie level as Let the Right One in was.

I noticed he has a third book out now - but it is still in hard cover. If I had liked the second book as much as I liked the first, I might have bought it in hard cover but I think I will wait.

Then I picked up Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson because it has been staring me in the face everywhere I go. It was getting on my nerves at this point, so I bought it in spite of the fact that Clive Cussler endorsed it with a blurb.

It's written in the first person, present tense, neither of which is my favourite form of writing, but as the story is laid out in the form of diary-like entries of a war between intelligent robots and humanity, it works. In the beginning I read the first chapter, went "umm," then I picked it up a few days later, and then, in spite of not being interested in robot wars (which is why I don't understand why this book kept being in my face until I just had to buy it to get it off my mind!) it immediately grabbed me.

I still think I would have liked to have seen the story told in a third person, past tense form, but it is a pretty engrossing book all the same, and a fast read.

I just started Cold as Ice by Charles Sheffield. It's science fiction and once-upon-a-time I read a very good book by Sheffield. It was his character development that I remember even though I don't recall which book it was exactly.
I haven't figured out how to quote only one part of a post so please forgive. Just wanted to say that Let the Right One In is also an excellent film...Swedish I think.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
I haven't figured out how to quote only one part of a post so please forgive.
Just so you know, when you quote a post and it shows up in your "reply" section, just delete the words/sentences between the [QUOTE..] and [/quote] tags that you don't want to show.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:34 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I just read Huck Finn for book club. I've spent more than 30 years avoiding reading it. I hated it. My book club was split between those who loved it & those who really didn't like it. On the plus side, it was a quick read!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Default Daniel Hecht's "Land of Echos"

I first came across this author when I picked up his "City of Masks" from a used book shelf during our travels across the country. Since we were preparing to visit New Orleans during Mardi Gras, I was happy to find a book set in that city, and it was a great read.

This work, the Land of Echos is no disappointment, either.

Not only does the work have interesting characters and plotting, but one sees the study of supernatural phenomena in a new light after reading about it from his protagonist's perspective.

I will look for more of his books.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:27 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,652 times
Lemon Meringue Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke (Part of the Hannah Swensen Mysteries) 4th book in a cozy mystery series.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
Mystery by Jonathan Kellerman...a Kindle book borrowed from my library.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:26 PM

208 posts, read 603,846 times
Currently working on two -

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, on audiobook. This has sparked my interest in the Channel Islands and a little-known part of WWII history.

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. Voted one of the greatest scifi novels ever written.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Finally getting around to Jeffrey Eugenides "Middlesex". I don't really care for the style of novels that are presented in the format of a series of anecdotal incidents.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 898 times
Default Harvest Moon by T.M. Marie

I decided to read this book because of a review I read. Here was the review...

This has got to be one of the best, most logically presented shifter novels I've read in a long time. You didn't have to take a “leap of faith” to believe in these shifters or their lifestyle. You learn about them as Myra does and you believe it. Myra's character is fresh, fun, sarcastic, and well-thought out. Alex Wade is a man with authority he handles with great skill but also at great cost. He wants Myra but because of mistakes in his past, he knows it will be safer for her if he lets her go. The constant conflict in his emotions and Myra's independence set up all kinds of interesting situations. T. M. Marie's concept and execution are excellent. Sex is implied but not explicit, leaving the story to shine. As the dangers weave in and out of the story line, both Myra and Alex grow and change, leading to a really great ending. Very well done. If you like paranormal romances, this is a must-read for your collection.

Reviewer:Kathy F. October 23, 2011

It truly was a great read. I'd recommend it highly, especially if you like horses and werewolves. Great Story!!

here's the link..
[URL]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PLO786[/URL]

Stacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books