Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 05:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times

Advertisements

I finished Disgrace last night. While I found the story good (although I didn't like the daughter's logic), it was only on the last page that I was truly disturbed. No spoilers here -- and it's not even a spoiler, really -- but I was very bothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 AM

443 posts, read 561,588 times
I have just finished Hypothermia by Arnuldar Indridason. Its like an Icelandic Columbo mystery. A cop in Iceland investigates a suicide, but something is nagging at him about the woman's death.
Review - Hypothermia by Arnaldur Indridason

Old 11-23-2011, 07:50 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,056,071 times
The Moon Opera by Bi Feiyu: This is a very short book, easily read in less than a day; however, its condensed, almost telegraphic style is like a slow-motion punch that turns horrifying as it gets nearer your jaw. The novel is set in modern get-rich-quick China, and there is a certain jarring irony in how the characters from time to time fall back on Mao era jargon and slogans as a kind of social lubricant. Despite the present-day setting, the milieu of the book is the fossilized and declining theater of the classic Peking opera - but don't be put off: the saga of the female protagonist, Yanqiu, is incredibly powerful. She is a supremely talented, vain performer but an incredibly real person, beset with everyday fears, doubt, self-created failures and obsessions. The author is a master at capturing telling body language and the awkward locutions of people forced to say things they do not feel.

I cannot help but think of the overworked metaphor of a rollercoaster in relation to this story - this woman's life rises and plunges at increasingly breakneck speed, and with ever more spectacular twists and dizzying convolutions, until like a rollercoaster it roars to an end that leaves you waiting for your stomach to catch up.

It is a fascinating few hours.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:31 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,464,984 times
Still laborously working my way through "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides, and had to renew it once at the library. In general, on the plus side. I think I'd like "Virgin Suicides", which I will have to watch for.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Still laborously working my way through "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides, and had to renew it once at the library. In general, on the plus side. I think I'd like "Virgin Suicides", which I will have to watch for.
Aw! I was hoping you'd be liking it more.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:57 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I am going to give Middlesex another try but I want to read I Was A Doctor in Auchwitz first and The Perfect Nazi after that one.

My problem lately has been that when I start reading I get very, very sleepy. I'm not completing these books as fast as I want to. Well, if that's the only gripe in my life then I am one lucky woman.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:59 PM

Remembering Laughter by Wallace Stegner.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:46 PM

4,009 posts, read 2,070,847 times
Moon Opera sounds like my type of book. Thanks for the recommendation!

Foreign Correspondence would also be my type of book---as a kid, I had 19 foreign penpals at the same time! Used lots of those blue aerograms. But would you believe my library doesn't have it?

Tried 50 pages of The Marriage Plot. Even though I loved Middlesex, I could not get into this book. Didn't care about the characters. Too many obscure literary references. It's official---I'm a failure---not loving a book that the critics adored!

Old 11-24-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Foreign Correspondence would also be my type of book---as a kid, I had 19 foreign penpals at the same time! Used lots of those blue aerograms. But would you believe my library doesn't have it?
Then you'll definitely love it!

There are a number of copies available on Amazon, for just a few pennies (plus shipping), from the resellers, which is how I bought mine.

Quote:
Tried 50 pages of The Marriage Plot. Even though I loved Middlesex, I could not get into this book. Didn't care about the characters. Too many obscure literary references. It's official---I'm a failure---not loving a book that the critics adored!
Damn! I was looking forward to The Marriage Plot.

But you're not a failure. I often don't like a book -- at all -- that the critics adored. Whether it's because there was too much hype before I got it, or just because it didn't work for me, I don't know, but it's often the case.

I hope you got it from the library, though, rather than spending big bucks on the hardcover that you'll never read. If it's the latter, sell it on Amazon!

Old 11-24-2011, 09:40 AM

I finished Remembering Laughter by Wallace Stegner. It was a novella -- only 150 pages or so -- and had a lot of white space on the sides. Quick read. Easy read. He writes so well. Even this story -- one that, had I realized the plot, wouldn't have bothered with. But he tells the tale beautifully.

ANYway...

Now I'm either going to start Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl or The Green Mile by Stephen King. They're very different from each other, but I don't know what I'm in the mood for. Tell me which one to read... or I'll be left to my own devices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books