Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 09:55 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,180,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I finished Remembering Laughter by Wallace Stegner. It was a novella -- only 150 pages or so -- and had a lot of white space on the sides. Quick read. Easy read. He writes so well. Even this story -- one that, had I realized the plot, wouldn't have bothered with. But he tells the tale beautifully.

ANYway...

Now I'm either going to start Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl or The Green Mile by Stephen King. They're very different from each other, but I don't know what I'm in the mood for. Tell me which one to read... or I'll be left to my own devices.
I have not read Tender at the Bone but I can say that The Green Mile is wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 10:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,818,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I have not read Tender at the Bone but I can say that The Green Mile is wonderful.
Thanks! I had Tender at the Bone out, ready to go for tonight, but I kept thinking, "Read it! Read The Green Mile already. You've waited long enough." So I swapped them out and now The Green Mile is out, complete with bookmark, ready to go for tonight.

And then I come back here and YOU suggested it, too, so... Yup, here we go...!

Old 11-24-2011, 10:11 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,022,366 times
Default I am legend!

By Richard Mathenson . The main Legend story, Plus some short ones included. I wish the movie, Despite Will Smith's great performance stuck to the book plot.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Thanks! I had Tender at the Bone out, ready to go for tonight, but I kept thinking, "Read it! Read The Green Mile already. You've waited long enough." So I swapped them out and now The Green Mile is out, complete with bookmark, ready to go for tonight.

And then I come back here and YOU suggested it, too, so... Yup, here we go...!
ACK! I took a little work break while eating lunch and read two chapters. And then it all came flooding back. I know this story. I saw the movie. I know the ending.

I don't so much mind not remembering that I'd seen the movie, but I just wish my memory would kick in BEFORE I buy the book and start reading it. Or even AFTER. But not DURING!

Tender at the Bone it is then.

PS. Has anyone read any Andrea Levy? I read Small Island when it first came out, but now I'm wondering about two older ones of hers: Every Light in the House Burnin' and also Never Far from Nowhere. Has anyone read these? Liked them?

Old 11-24-2011, 01:36 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,180,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
By Richard Mathenson . The main Legend story, Plus some short ones included. I wish the movie, Despite Will Smith's great performance stuck to the book plot.
The original movie with Vincent Price sticks closer to the book. The movie title is "The Last Man on Earth" and it came out in 1964.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:54 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,022,366 times
Default "morgan!!!"

Quote:
The original movie with Vincent Price sticks closer to the book. The movie title is "The Last Man on Earth" and it came out in 1964.
Yes! I have the DVD..The antagonists are more like zombie's with vampire characteristics. I always laugh when they are by the window yelling "Morgan, Come out!" And he just tosses the wine/liquor bottle at the window. it is almost identical to the book otherwise.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:19 PM

Oh, phooey, I'm not reading Tender at the Bone either. It's supposed to be funny but I don't *do* humor books (nor do I find Ruth Reichl or her stories amusing... at all). I'm all for humorous and clever dialogue -- in fact, I adore it -- but that's it.

I'm going for a biggie now. Not New York by Edward Rutherfurd. No, not quite yet. I'm not ready yet and I want to be GOOD AND READY for that one. So, I'm going to read a Goodwill find of a book that never interested me before now: The Other Boleyn Girl. I hope it holds my interest. I think it might because, recently, I've found myself digging those period pieces. Go figure.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:28 PM

867 posts, read 2,126,962 times
Just finished The Education of Hailey Kendrick

I really liked it, it showed that being popular is not what it's cracked up to be. It had it's moments though, certain parts got a bit too repetitive, but overall it was a really great read. I also liked how it really emphasized how the character changed from someone who is, submissive, to someone who is more the opposite, more outspoken, and more opinionated. Overall, it was a great read, I'd give this book a 9/10.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 PM

7,224 posts, read 9,181,699 times
Quote:
Wasn't The Green Mile a very thin little story about a man on death row? Or did King expand it into a bigger book? I just don't remember much about it.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Wasn't The Green Mile a very thin little story about a man on death row? Or did King expand it into a bigger book? I just don't remember much about it.
It was SIX thin little stories, released separately, to form a whole story. He said that was a form that Dickens sometimes used and he found pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books