Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 02:55 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,163,558 times

Advertisements

Just finished "The cat who knew Shakespeare", "The cat who sniffed glue" and "The cat who went underground" all by Lilian Jackson Braun. And I finished "Sphere" by Michael Chricton. I was disappointed in it when I finally got to page 440 and realized there would not be a monster. Oh well, got it for 50cents at a yard sale, so a cheap read.

Am now reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. I wish it were more interesting...so far it is going back and forth when the guy was young, now he is old, etc. I have not gotten to an elephant yet, so I do hope one pops up soon. I am almost a third of the way into the book.

I am hoping out of the thousands of books on my shelves, that I get a few that grab me, pull me in, slap me around a little...well, maybe not that, but I prefer books I can get lost in, where I forget where I am in my day to day life, where if my husband walks in the room and says something, I can't hear him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 AM

289 posts, read 566,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondandy View Post
Sorry I didn't see this sooner

Sure I'll let your know but be forewarned, it'll take awhile for me to read it. My reading time is sparse but very precious.

There's another thread about this book, 11/22/63, perhaps you should check it out. Another forum member has finished this book.

Yeah I noticed the other thread after posting here. But I would still like your opinion on the book after you've read it. And I promise I totally understand about sparse reading time. I'm working 2 jobs and taking 3 classes at community college. So now instead of 3 days to read a book it's taking me like a month or longer. So no pressure from me. I promise.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
HAHA! "Funny" story. Kinda sorta.

I *was* reading The Other Boleyn Girl. Got to page 90 or so, as a matter of fact. This morning, on my way to run errands, I figured that I'd drop off some books at Goodwill.

Have you guessed yet what happened?

Yup, The Other Boleyn Girl found its way into the pile -- I think because its cover was the same color as The Green Mile, which I *meant* to donate.

I guess I'll start on a DIFFERENT book tonight because I'm sure not running back there and explaining how stupid I was.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:34 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,822,574 times
I am currently reading Bike Snob- systematically and mercilessly realigning the world of cycling. The book explains the history of the bicycle and what the author considers acceptable and unacceptable in relation to bicycles (from Bicycling Magazine fame). If you're into bicycles I recommend this cool little coffee table book.

-Cheers.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:38 AM

443 posts, read 561,588 times
I am reading Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens. Good thriller. Review: Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens | Life … With Books

Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
I usually get intimidated by very long books, especially when I have a pile of other goodies that I want to read, and think that I'll get antsy to get to them and give up the big one early on.

But, regardless, I bit the bullet and started New York by Edward Rutherfurd last night. It's almost 900 pages. I'm on page 175... AND LOVING IT! Not only am I not antsy, I wish that it was even longer! (Well, no, not really... it would be impossible to hold it!)

Old 11-26-2011, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 871 times
Default Ah, Books

I personally love what I call underground books, obviously indie books, just like indie music because so much of it goes undiscovered and there's some quality work out there. That said, indie-wise I like:

"The Cubicle Rebel" by Jennifer Kley

And mainstream I love, love, love Anne Lamott. Most anything she writes is delicious and soul stirring, whether about death, her mother's love of "steak and fur", about writing, about her faith. I wish she wrote as many books as that Patterson guy. (What a dominator.)

More later as I think of them.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:53 PM

220 posts, read 280,036 times
For some reason I'm having a hard time getting into Orwell's 1984, which is perplexing because I know I'll like it, based upon my husband's opinion and I like the subject of the book. I guess I just need another type of book right now. I think I'll put it aside for now.

So I am going to read Gone With The Wind instead. And then go back to 1984.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,629,458 times
The Fudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne Fluke. Loving this series.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
I finished Lindqvist's Harbor and now I'm reading I Was A Doctor In Auschwitz by Dr. Gisella Perl.

It's so well written that I feel like I'm having a conversation with her....well, not exactly a conversation, more like I am listening to her story rather than reading it.

She certainly was an exceptional human being and the savior of many women in the death camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books