Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,224 posts, read 9,173,334 times
Reputation: 9783

Advertisements

I finished The River Beyond the World - I think that it might be of interest to those who liked The Help. I haven't actually read The Help, but my mom has and rather than the black maid/white employer theme, this book has a Mexican illegal maid/white employer theme. It spans a number of years, I think from the 40s through to the 90s.

I don't know what to read next. My dad had a small stroke and I need something I can concentrate on. I had planned to read Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger but it isn't a sequel to The Time Traveller's Wife, and I'm wondering if it is as engaging as the previous book. I need something that will grab my attention and not let my mind wander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Coastal North Carolina
220 posts, read 279,980 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

I don't know what to read next. My dad had a small stroke and I need something I can concentrate on. I had planned to read Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger but it isn't a sequel to The Time Traveller's Wife, and I'm wondering if it is as engaging as the previous book. I need something that will grab my attention and not let my mind wander.
So sorry to hear about your dad, netwit. Hope he is doing better soon. Hope you find a good book, too! I know from previous experience that a good book can help get through a tough situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM
 
Location: somewhere between Lk. Michigan & Lk. Huron
5,585 posts, read 976,233 times
Reputation: 1394
Reading Plain Perfect, about a woman who has lived a non Amish life, but has had turmoil in her life, to get away from it all, she visits her Amish Grandparents, & stays what she expects to be a short visit, a good page turner. haven't finished the book just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM
 
1,703 posts, read 5,123,315 times
Reputation: 1117
I just finished (this afternoon) Unbroken. Wow.....just wow. So inspiring and triumphant. Absolutely incredible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Canada
7,224 posts, read 9,173,334 times
Reputation: 9783
I'm reading Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's a few years old - I had originally bought it for my husband but he wasn't interested in it, but I'm finding it fascinating. Originally, I thought, with reference to New York by Rutherford, that it would be of interest to those who enjoyed that book (which I haven't read), but I hadn't realised until Googling it now that New York is fiction - Mayflower is nonfiction.

Being set in your neck of the woods, Dandj, maybe you'd find it interesting?

I haven't finished it yet - I'm about halfway through. I highly recommend it for lovers of history, or for lovers of American history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,806,462 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm reading Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's a few years old - I had originally bought it for my husband but he wasn't interested in it, but I'm finding it fascinating. Originally, I thought, with reference to New York by Rutherford, that it would be of interest to those who enjoyed that book (which I haven't read), but I hadn't realised until Googling it now that New York is fiction - Mayflower is nonfiction.

Being set in your neck of the woods, Dandj, maybe you'd find it interesting?

I haven't finished it yet - I'm about halfway through. I highly recommend it for lovers of history, or for lovers of American history.
HA! New York is fiction but the non-fiction parts -- the history and political parts that I can't wrap my head around -- are the bits that I'm skipping. It's a mix of fiction and non-fiction, actually, with a lot of both packed into 860 pages.

I'm going to take a look at Mayflower now. Thanks! Because, y'know, the "to read" pile is just not quite high enough yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,618 posts, read 86,458,501 times
Reputation: 36636
Scott Spencer's "Man in the Woods". The author is a perceptive observer of human nature, but I have no clue yet as to how the story (if any) will unfold.

Finished with "Middlesex" (Jeffrey Eugenides), found it sort of average. Entertaining writing throughout, but not great. Although written as a first-person reminiscence, it was disappointingly thin on how life went on into the present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,806,462 times
Reputation: 28897
Of course I'm still reading New York by Edward Rutherfurd. It's 860 pages AND I'm swamped with work. That said, I love the book and I'm finding, now that I'm on page 694 (oh yes, I am!), that I wish it was even longer than it is. What a book...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 04:14 AM
 
Location: Texas
15,893 posts, read 18,171,485 times
Reputation: 62765
I'm reading Anne Tyler's Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant.

This woman.....this writer.....I have never encountered an author who is better at conveying the heart of the human condition as well as Anne Tyler. Her stories are actually quite simple but the people inside them are wondrous creations through whom the reader experiences all the emotions in the spectrum.

Tyler has the ability to make me laugh and then cry in the same paragraph.

I'm slowly working my way through all her books. I have to be careful because it's like eating too much dessert. I don't want to finish all the dessert at once. It's such a treat to look forward to the next one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,806,462 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading Anne Tyler's Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant.

This woman.....this writer.....I have never encountered an author who is better at conveying the heart of the human condition as well as Anne Tyler. Her stories are actually quite simple but the people inside them are wondrous creations through whom the reader experiences all the emotions in the spectrum.

Tyler has the ability to make me laugh and then cry in the same paragraph.

I'm slowly working my way through all her books. I have to be careful because it's like eating too much dessert. I don't want to finish all the dessert at once. It's such a treat to look forward to the next one.
I know how you feel. When I discovered her many, many years ago, I went out and bought all the books that were already published. I felt like a glutton. But I felt happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top