Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 05:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just downloaded this onto my Kindle. I happened across it and got fixated on it, for some reason.

Amazon.com: Mozart's Wife (9781461109617): Juliet Waldron: Books
I can't say how many pages of Mozart's Wife I've read -- it's on the Kindle at 9% completed -- and I have to say that it's one of the WORST books that I've ever read (or tried to read). I'm sure the story itself is wonderful, but the writing is atrocious!

I won't be continuing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,456 times
One of my chores is to collect and deliver books for a small circle of readers who can't go to the libraries themselves. I would normally not read this book, but I am glad that I did.

Cat Confidential: The Book Your Cat Would Want You To Read: Amazon.co.uk: Vicky Halls: Books

Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,323 times
Martin Amis' Koba the Dread: Laughter and the Twenty Million.

It's a political/historical analysis of sorts, where Amis basically gives his views on Stalin and his rule of terror, and how our culture has responded to it all since it happened.

It's somewhat disappointing so far because it feels like a lazy book, not too well sourced and the tone of which is mostly emotional, in my opinion. I don't really trust emotional books when it comes to dealing with history and fact: to me they reek of demagogy and they end up missing the point.

And, in this case, it's particularly unnecessary because we all know who Stalin was.

Okay, this is not completely fair because I can enjoy biographies which are full of the author's opinions, provided that they are well written. I read them like I would read any book of fiction. But Martin Amis isn't doing this either because his intentions are, I believe, more grandiose. This is not merely fiction or gossiping about a historical figure.

I guess I should be reading this like it's a purely personal view written by an angry author. But my expectations when I bought the book were much higher.

Last edited by noela; 12-09-2011 at 12:32 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
"The Rainmaker" by John Grisham.
I needed something new after reading several disappointing "suspense/horror" type books that were not what they claimed to be. My next horror novel better be scary!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM

This: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...pf_rd_i=507846

I thought it sounded good and, as a diary, an easy read.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
This: Amazon.com: A Young Girl's Diary (9781595478351): Sigmund Freud: Books

I thought it sounded good and, as a diary, an easy read.
I agree. I'm going to add that to my wish list.

I just have to tell you, Dawn, that I found Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. I haven't read it yet as I am in a funk. Haven't read since October. Since I can't get into reading, I've been crafting - cross stitch and crocheting.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I agree. I'm going to add that to my wish list.

I just have to tell you, Dawn, that I found Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. I haven't read it yet as I am in a funk. Haven't read since October. Since I can't get into reading, I've been crafting - cross stitch and crocheting.
Awwww, I'm sorry about your reading funk. I know how that is. I've been there many (too many!) times. You think that you'll never be able to read again. But you will. And you have other stuff to keep you busy in the meantime -- so that's good!

Well, I started reading the diary. Eh. I'm not too sure about it. I've come to the realization that I don't love a diary format. I'll keep at it for a while, but I don't have great hopes. In fact, I've tossed aside the last 4 or 5 books that I've tried, so maybe I'm in a bit of a funk too.

Anyway, if you have a Kindle, it's FREE on Amazon! So, there ya go!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:53 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Roman Empire by Nigel Rodgers

Old 12-09-2011, 03:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Awwww, I'm sorry about your reading funk. I know how that is. I've been there many (too many!) times. You think that you'll never be able to read again. But you will. And you have other stuff to keep you busy in the meantime -- so that's good!

Well, I started reading the diary. Eh. I'm not too sure about it. I've come to the realization that I don't love a diary format. I'll keep at it for a while, but I don't have great hopes. In fact, I've tossed aside the last 4 or 5 books that I've tried, so maybe I'm in a bit of a funk too.

Anyway, if you have a Kindle, it's FREE on Amazon! So, there ya go!
thank you! It sure does seem like it'll never end.

I kind of like the diary format. A couple of my favorite books are "These Is My Words" and "The Diary of Mattie Spencer" which are both diary type books. Maybe I end up liking it. I've got the Kindle app on the iPad so I'm going to go looking for it now.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:05 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,782 times
Finally got around to reading 'A stolen Life' by Jaycee Dugard. It was hard to read. I admire the strength this young woman had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books