U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 AM

74 posts, read 64,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
His new book In One Person is coming out in May 2012. I got the advance reader's copy and couldn't get past page 10. Just a warning to read a bit of it before biting the bullet and bringing it home.
Thanks for the warning. It's so disappointing to hear, but then he is a hit and miss author. If I do get it, I'll probably pick it up used somewhere like I did with Garp.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 31,431,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
Thanks for the warning. It's so disappointing to hear, but then he is a hit and miss author. If I do get it, I'll probably pick it up used somewhere like I did with Garp.
Good plan.

If you happen across A Wild Surge of Guilty Passion by Ron Hansen, pick that up too. The first half was good. The second half was intense. The last 10 pages? I was holding my breath.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 AM

I finished A Wild Surge of Guilty Passion by Ron Hansen. Terrific book. It read like an investigative report in the beginning but then it got soooooo good. It's based on a true story.

I started The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson but the writing left much to be desired. I don't believe in writing "blah blah blah" (literally) in a third-person narrative sentence. There were some other ickies like that early on, so I will not continue reading this one.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:47 AM

15,895 posts, read 17,384,276 times
Has anyone read any of Maeve Binchy's books? She is an Irish author and I suppose her most well-know novel is Circle of Friends.

She does not write exciting or thrilling books. Instead she writes of everyday life in Ireland. Her characters are wonderfully animated in her books and there are always a lot of the usual pressures of life but she ends her books on an up note. They are a pleasure to read because the reader wonders how everything will work out.

I've read all of her novels and look forward to new ones.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Has anyone read any of Maeve Binchy's books? She is an Irish author and I suppose her most well-know novel is Circle of Friends.

She does not write exciting or thrilling books. Instead she writes of everyday life in Ireland. Her characters are wonderfully animated in her books and there are always a lot of the usual pressures of life but she ends her books on an up note. They are a pleasure to read because the reader wonders how everything will work out.

I read all her books as they came out. I also met her once, many years ago, at a "Breakfast with the Authors" thing in Montreal -- she's charming, as is her husband.

I enjoyed them when I read them but they're not my thing anymore. I've grown much too cynical and need my books to be darker now.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,153,936 times
Quote:

I read a couple of hers and enjoyed them years ago. I much preferred the book "Circle of Friends". I can't remember the other one I read though.

Like Dawn, her stuff isn't really my thing anymore either - although I wouldn't say because I have become cynical and like dark stuff.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 PM

6,294 posts, read 7,520,136 times
Min kamp 6 (My Struggle: Book Six) by the Norwegian author Karl Ove Knaugsgård. Sadly, some of the chapters are just plain boring.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:14 PM

15,895 posts, read 17,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I read all her books as they came out. I also met her once, many years ago, at a "Breakfast with the Authors" thing in Montreal -- she's charming, as is her husband.

I enjoyed them when I read them but they're not my thing anymore. I've grown much too cynical and need my books to be darker now.
Well, since I have lately been reading vampire and zombie books (which I never dreamed I would get into) a new Binchy book would be a good change for me. I still read every single one of them as they come out. She said she was going to retire from writing a few years ago and it upset me.

I just knew she would be a charming person along with her hubby. I'm so glad to have you reinforce that opinion, Dawn. She has to be a sweetie to write what she does....or am I just naive about things like that? heeheehee

Old 12-21-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I just knew she would be a charming person along with her hubby. I'm so glad to have you reinforce that opinion, Dawn. She has to be a sweetie to write what she does....or am I just naive about things like that? heeheehee
Nope. Just a great judge of character.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 PM

When the Emperor Was Divine, which was written by the same person who wrote The Buddha in the Attic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books