U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 PM

6,856 posts, read 5,030,520 times

Advertisements

Fall Of Giants by Ken Follett. at 985 pages this one will take me awhile to read!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 PM

68 posts, read 108,183 times
My dad recommended The Doomsday Key by James Rollins so I gave it a read. While entertaining, I just found the whole book too predictable and a little bit stupid. So I pretty much did a 180 with my reading and am now onto David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 31,401,776 times
In the Distant Land of My Father by Bo Caldwell. Sadly, even though I'm only a few pages into it, it's not working for me. This could very well be because Reading Jackie: Her Autobiography in Books by William Kuhn, a fabulous Goodwill find, is sitting in my night table drawer and I keep thinking of it waiting for me...

Old 12-30-2011, 01:12 PM

1,354 posts, read 3,939,717 times
Just finished a first novel by an unknown--Ramona Bridges. The book is Sweet By and By and fair warning, it is a book with scripture quotes here and there--but it is a wonderful book--just ignore the religious stuff if it isn't your thing. This lady can write--I was blown away.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:39 PM

6,587 posts, read 11,728,079 times
I just finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese...

This is one of the best books I read in 2011. It's an epic book that reminded me of a contemporary Greek tragedy...the book had me laughing, crying and holding my breath. The author, a practicing physician and alumni of the Iowa Writers Workshop, knows his stuff. The book's beautifully written, powerful and tender.

I recommend this book very highly...it's thick and meaty--perfect to curl up with on a long winter's night.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:44 PM

6,487 posts, read 8,268,949 times
The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon. It started off slow, but I am really getting into it now.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:05 AM

6,650 posts, read 4,427,222 times
I'm currently reading The Pacific, a novelization from the HBO miniseries. It's by Hugh Ambrose, and it's a fun read

Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 PM

14,810 posts, read 15,633,217 times
Sybil Exposed by Debbie Nathan. Remember the book in the 1970's about the multiple personality patient, Sybil? It sold 70 million copies worldwide, earned millions for the psychiatrist who treated Sybil and the author, Flora Shreiber. It was also made into the TV miniseries that catapulted Sally Fields from comedienne to a serious actress. Turns out the whole thing was more fraud and hoax than real. This is a well-researched book that tells the story of how the whole "Sybil" phenomenon came about. I'm about half way through it and can hardly put it down.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:15 PM

74 posts, read 64,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon. It started off slow, but I am really getting into it now.
Does this book have a time travel theme like Outlander?

I'm about to start reading Queen of America by Luis Alberto Urrea. It's the sequel to The Hummingbird's Daughter, which, if you haven't read it, I highly suggest. I would describe it along the lines of how Little Dolphin described Cutting for Stone in this thread, except it's not about a physician, rather a young Mexican girl who turns out to be a great healer and an underground leader of the Mexican people. it's based on a real person, Teresita Urrea, but it's fiction.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:49 PM

42,661 posts, read 83,179,789 times
Finished Yrsa Sigurdarsdottir's "Last Rituals". Not the greatest mystery novel in the world (but not the worst). It does provide some interesting insights into life in modern Iceland, as well as a substantial amount of apparently factual material about 16th century history of Iceland, with respect to the church and sorcery. The author is also a civil engineer, directing the construction of a large hydroelectric project in Europe.

About to start on Abraham Verghese's "Cutting for Stone".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books