U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 04:17 PM

28,899 posts, read 51,503,665 times

Advertisements

August, 1914 by Solzhenitsyn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 04:36 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,500,477 times
I just finished Heaven Is For Real, and it was just so wonderful. It's a short book and was on the NY best seller's list. I bought several copies to share and gave six copies out at Christmas.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:50 PM

27,078 posts, read 9,849,006 times
Not sure how you feel about enjoying this book...?

The Civil War is part of our history. A devastating and hurtful and tragic part of our history. We can learn alot through historical novels that are well researched....putting acts of war into a prose that strikes home with anyone reading it is quite an education. Plus reading about lifestyles etc of the era....and even love stories in the book relate that life carries on even throughout war times.

Margaret Mitchell won a Pulitzer Prize for Gone With the Wind.

You could find worse reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I just started Gone With the Wind. I'm actually enjoying it. Not sure how I feel about that.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 PM

42,661 posts, read 82,462,110 times
Have now gotten about a quarter of the way into "Cutting for Stone" (Abraham Verghese). Quite worth reading, but an oddity of a novel . Verghese is a medical doctor, and novel follows the lives of volunteer doctors working in Ethiopia in the 50s.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 AM

6,145 posts, read 7,216,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

The Civil War is part of our history. A devastating and hurtful and tragic part of our history. We can learn alot through historical novels that are well researched....putting acts of war into a prose that strikes home with anyone reading it is quite an education. Plus reading about lifestyles etc of the era....and even love stories in the book relate that life carries on even throughout war times.

Oh, I agree with all of that. It's part of why I like the book. I just don't feel warm and fuzzy about the slavery aspect. Also, I really want to dislike Scarlett and Rhett, but I can't.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 AM

23,883 posts, read 69,552,108 times
Swedish history 1721-1830 and a new Beethoven biography at nearly 1000 pages.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,910,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Oh, I agree with all of that. It's part of why I like the book. I just don't feel warm and fuzzy about the slavery aspect. Also, I really want to dislike Scarlett and Rhett, but I can't.
Of course, you certainly cannot read Gone With the Wind for the historical significance in its depiction of slavery. I'm not saying that this makes the book bad from a story-telling perspective, but please don't think that it is in any way, shape or form an accurate historical perspective of slavery.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM

7,785 posts, read 17,688,133 times
Sci Fi/Fantasy
Snake Agent by Liz Williams, which I am definitely enjoying.
A Million Open Doors by John Barnes, which is a re-read

Mystery
Bangkok 8 by John Burdett

Non-fic
97 Orchard Street by Linda Granfield, book and companion photo book.
A History of Salt by Mark Kurland.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,945,259 times
It took me forever to finish Out of Oz, the 4th & last of the Wicked series. I loved Wicked. The book, the musical, the songs.... The other 2 books were okay, they added depth to Wicked & to it's Oz, but as themselves they were not great. Out of Oz was awful.

I'm about 75 pages into Fall of Giants. I'm really enjoying it so far! And, as a bonus, it touches on my family history. My grandmother was born in Wales & her father was a coalminer. The coalminers striked early in the century, & her father never worked again. Which is where the book starts off. And one of the main coal charachters has the same name as that branch of my family.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 AM

13,601 posts, read 5,112,680 times
Just got started on "Storm Front" book one of the Dresden Files. Seems promising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books