U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 PM

6,601 posts, read 6,852,962 times

Advertisements

I also read Birdcloud, and was disappointed. I usually love and adore Annie Proulx. I also expected the book to be an exploration of Place, but it read more like an ordinary whiney diary written by someone building any house anywhere - complaining about contractors, cost, problems encountered, and etc. On the other hand, I recommended the book (as kind of a cautionary tale) to someone excited about building their dream home in the mountains of western Montana. It never hurts to be reminded that humdrum reality can turn a dream into a tedious task, if not a nightmare.

I just bought two paperback mysteries at the dollar store and was unpleasantly surprised to find out they are Christian fiction. There really needs to be a warning label on such books !!! About half of the books our local library buys now are Christian fiction. Great for the people who have that point of view, but that does leave the rest of us desperate for something to read! Guess it's time to get out the checkbook and donate to the library's acquisition fund, specifying that the funds NOT be spent on Christian Fiction!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,150,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I just bought two paperback mysteries at the dollar store and was unpleasantly surprised to find out they are Christian fiction. There really needs to be a warning label on such books !!! About half of the books our local library buys now are Christian fiction. Great for the people who have that point of view, but that does leave the rest of us desperate for something to read! Guess it's time to get out the checkbook and donate to the library's acquisition fund, specifying that the funds NOT be spent on Christian Fiction!!!
I would think that the publisher would be a warning in most cases - Bethany House, Tyndale, Zondervan among others are publishers of Christian fiction.

I am finally back to reading and recently read The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud and am now reading The Hunger Games.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,299,593 times
The Hollow Hills by Mary Stewart

I'm enjoying it.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:41 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,685,391 times
What I'm reading right now, and will be for some time, I suspect, is Robert's Rules of Order. Ordinarily thought of as a reference book, I think it's easier to use if you read through it, or at least a lot of it, in order to get properly oriented to the subject.

I don't expect many people to sit down and read it for pleasure.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 24,554,084 times
I am almost finish with Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I honestly thought it was another horse story by the title, and the fact that she wrote Seabiscuit. Ah, no, definitely not. It is however, our book club selection. Tough subject matter, excellent story.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 PM

169 posts, read 502,913 times
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys - young adult historical fiction about the little known history of Lithuania (and to an extent Latvia and Estonia) in WWII. Even though it is YA, it's a very good read. Highly recommended. If you don't want to read it, at least watch the author interview on amazon (if you search for the book title on amazon, you'd find it).

Old 01-12-2012, 02:59 AM

6,754 posts, read 8,266,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
If you did post about The Night Circus, I didn't catch it. Sorry 'bout that.

It's getting cold here too, and your talk of howling winds and goosebumps is making me eye the blanket that's on Artie's futon in my office. Nap time!
No, I think I didn't post about it. I forgot. I was just looking for the book to refresh my memory on what I wanted to post about it, but I've also forgotten where I put it. I was busy organizing my bookshelves and I can't find it in the midst of all my so-called order. Are you still waiting for the book?

A pile of books came in today from Amazon. Hubby said not a word . But with a windchill of -33C tonight, I am all set.

Incidentally, someone here recommended A Gift Upon the Shore by M.K Wren once, and that is one of the books I got today. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 31,398,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
No, I think I didn't post about it. I forgot. I was just looking for the book to refresh my memory on what I wanted to post about it, but I've also forgotten where I put it. I was busy organizing my bookshelves and I can't find it in the midst of all my so-called order. Are you still waiting for the book?

A pile of books came in today from Amazon. Hubby said not a word . But with a windchill of -33C tonight, I am all set.

Incidentally, someone here recommended A Gift Upon the Shore by M.K Wren once, and that is one of the books I got today. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Ha! I understand the craziness and disarray. And I love that you got an Amazon order past your husband. Beautiful!!!

I'm on the library waiting list for the Kindle version of it but I have a gazillion other books in my night table and others on the library waiting list too. I was just wondering it you'd liked it and if I should keep it on hold or remove it. I'll keep it on hold, seeing that you liked it. Or at least you think you remember liking it.

Stay cozy! Or at least TRY to!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 AM

13,607 posts, read 5,164,952 times
Rereading "The Dwarves" by Markus Heitz, a young German author. I bought the two following volumes "War of the Dwarves" and "Revenge of the Dwarves" which will follow right after I've finished this one.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 31,398,927 times
I just finished reading Riven Rock by T.C. Boyle. Boy, can that man write! I'd read Tortilla Curtain a number of years ago, so I'm not sure why I didn't look into any of his other books -- he's terrific. So, yup, after finishing Riven Rock, I ordered two more by T.C. Boyle books (of course I did!): T.C. Boyle Stories (for when I'm in between library waiting list holds) and The Road to Wellville. I like that Riven Rock and Road to Wellville are based on real people, even if the story features some made-up characters and the story is not completely true to life.

Next up is All Souls: A Family Story from Southie. This is a memoir by Michael Patrick MacDonald about growing up in Southie, an area of Boston. Part of it is about Whitey Bulger, and how he was king of the 'hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books