Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
By the way - this thread was started back in August of 2006. Maybe it's time to start a new one.
I love this thread! Also, I think there's something to be said for longevity in this crazy cyber world we inhabit. I've picked up lots of great suggestions for books here, and really enjoy the conversation. Why start a new one?[/quote]

I agree. This older thread is a great research tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Please let me know what you think about the book. I'm a big fan of Judi Dench. She seems like such an interesting person.

I have read some really fine biographies and autobiographies in the last year or so. I'm always on the lookout for good ones.
FWIW - I was very disappointed with And Furthermore. It was like reading an encyclopedia. The book detailed every project she ever worked and catalogued names of many of the persons she worked with. Very little personal information or about her life with Michael Williams and that centered around A Fine Romance. I'm an avid fan of Dench, but I didn't finish this book. Robert Redford is a favorite of mine and I was looking forward to his memoir, but it's written in the same fashion as And Furthermore - filled with trivial and boring detail.
I really enjoyed Rob Lowe's and Tina Fey's.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
FWIW - I was very disappointed with And Furthermore. It was like reading an encyclopedia. The book detailed every project she ever worked and catalogued names of many of the persons she worked with. Very little personal information or about her life with Michael Williams and that centered around A Fine Romance. I'm an avid fan of Dench, but I didn't finish this book. Robert Redford is a favorite of mine and I was looking forward to his memoir, but it's written in the same fashion as And Furthermore - filled with trivial and boring detail.
I really enjoyed Rob Lowe's and Tina Fey's.

Another good one is Meridith Baxter's. I was pleasantly surprised by it. I have the autobiography of Coleen Dewhurst. I have not started it yet but it is sure to be interesting since she was interesting and she was married to George C. Scott.

The one that I really enjoyed and plan to reread is Shelly Winters' first autobiography. She is very open and does not blush easily when talking about all the men she slept with. She was spunky.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,296,558 times
Currently reading George W Bush's "Decision Points", pretty good so far.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just finished reading The Paris Wife. I belong in the 1920s. Life was so simple then. I want to travel back in time and be a 20-something in the 1920s. But I'd want to bring the Internet with me.

Seriously, though, this book made me fall in love with that time. I literally fell into the book, not wanting it to end -- I felt like I was there, living it with them. I thought that Ernest and Hadley Hemingway's time there was so fascinating, so much so that I ordered a book about F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald and also one about Gerald and Sara Murphy.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Default I currently have several books open..........

The Total Money Makeover, Dave Ramsey

Financial Peace Revisited, Dave Ramsey

Psalms

Bible

Technically I am almost done with The Total Money Makeover (just a few pages left), then I will start one of the other Dave Ramsey books I have on my Kindle.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:30 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
White Crosses by Larry Watson. I can tell this is going to be one that I hate to see come to an end! I'll have to look into his other books.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Okay, I didn't know what I was getting into when I picked up The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner. I'm fascinated by it, but I'd be lying (severely) if I said I comprehended everything I'm reading.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:12 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Okay, I didn't know what I was getting into when I picked up The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner. I'm fascinated by it, but I'd be lying (severely) if I said I comprehended everything I'm reading.
Try to put your hands on the movie with Yul Brynner and JoAnne Woodward. It's an old treasure of mine. I love books and I enjoyed the book but just this once the movie spoke to me more than the book did.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:12 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
No need for a new one-this one is perfect LIKE IT IS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I love this thread! Also, I think there's something to be said for longevity in this crazy cyber world we inhabit. I've picked up lots of great suggestions for books here, and really enjoy the conversation. Why start a new one?
I agree. This older thread is a great research tool.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books