Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 01:53 PM

12 posts, read 10,969 times

Advertisements

Blackberry Planet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 01:59 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,372 times
Ok I suppose nobody on here reads Laura Ingalls Wilder's book,, but I find this kind of reading relaxing from the more serious type of reading I do. Takes place in the 1800's.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I am flying through "Of Mice and Men". I honestly cannot remember if I read this years ago or if I just remember the movie. Since it's so short, I figured I would read it (again?). Finished "The Hunger Games" trilogy yesterday so I wanted something short, fast and completely different than that.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:23 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker Freesia View Post
Ok I suppose nobody on here reads Laura Ingalls Wilder's book,, but I find this kind of reading relaxing from the more serious type of reading I do. Takes place in the 1800's.
I do! I have a copy of Little House In The Big Woods that my grandmother received as a Christmas gift in 1932.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,524 times
I just finished "A Handmaid's Tale." Strange, frightening story, with a bit of an unsatisfying ending that left me feeling like a lot of things didn't quite make sense, but still a good read.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 AM

120 posts, read 167,231 times
[quote=AnneWest;22774619]Taken by Robert Crais. I'm about 1/3 of the way through, and so far, it's one of the usual good page-turner Elvis Cole mysteries by Crais.

I Love Robert Crais

I've just finished The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and I begin the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
I also read the Personnals Memoirs of Ulyss S.Grant.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Just finished "The Diary Of Mattie Spenser" by Sandra Dallas--a very unsatisfying book for me but others may find it appealing. Ordinarily I enjoy books written in diary format and set in the 19th century but this one left me angry. It should have been called "Diary Of A Doormat" for that's how I saw Mattie.

Mattie is the second choice as a mate for a Colorado homesteader and the couple heads west to the high plains of eastern Colorado where Mattie's new husband has land. He is a hard worker but remote and unemotionally involved. He does not mistreat her but is a poor lover, giving Mattie children but little else. I won't give away the ending but after what Mattie's husband does in the end, I was ready to scream out, "How could you keep this man after THAT?"

Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Just finished "The Diary Of Mattie Spenser" by Sandra Dallas--a very unsatisfying book for me but others may find it appealing. Ordinarily I enjoy books written in diary format and set in the 19th century but this one left me angry. It should have been called "Diary Of A Doormat" for that's how I saw Mattie.

Mattie is the second choice as a mate for a Colorado homesteader and the couple heads west to the high plains of eastern Colorado where Mattie's new husband has land. He is a hard worker but remote and unemotionally involved. He does not mistreat her but is a poor lover, giving Mattie children but little else. I won't give away the ending but after what Mattie's husband does in the end, I was ready to scream out, "How could you keep this man after THAT?"
I loved that book! If you haven't already, check out "These is My Words" by Nancy E. Turner. It is the first in a short series about Sarah Agnes Prine.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I loved that book! If you haven't already, check out "These is My Words" by Nancy E. Turner. It is the first in a short series about Sarah Agnes Prine.
LOL....."one man's meat" and all that.

I also read "One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd" by Jim Fergus, also told in diary format, and loved that one. It tells the story of May Dodd who travels west to become the wife of a Cheyenne chief, after the Cheyenne requested from President Grant one thousand white women for brides. Although the Cheyenne did, at some obscure point in history, actually make such a request, it was never fulfilled--except in this fictionalized story. This book I really enjoyed.

Thanks for the heads up about "These Is My Words". Will look into that one.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:49 AM

5,585 posts, read 984,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am flying through "Of Mice and Men". I honestly cannot remember if I read this years ago or if I just remember the movie. Since it's so short, I figured I would read it (again?). Finished "The Hunger Games" trilogy yesterday so I wanted something short, fast and completely different than that.
I remember "Of Mice and Men" too, like you I can't remember whether I've read the book or and saw the film.. We had the assignment on this decades ago when I was in High School. I can remember Lenny would carry around a dead mouse in his pant pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books