Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 AM

5,585 posts, read 984,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
I do! I have a copy of Little House In The Big Woods that my grandmother received as a Christmas gift in 1932.
That is interesting tdna. I have 2 books by Laura Ingalls Wilder "The Long Winter" & "Little Town on the Prairie" The Long Winter is so breath taking to read,,, there is one snow blizzard after another & food is rapidly running out as well as the heating source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
LOL....."one man's meat" and all that.

I also read "One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd" by Jim Fergus, also told in diary format, and loved that one. It tells the story of May Dodd who travels west to become the wife of a Cheyenne chief, after the Cheyenne requested from President Grant one thousand white women for brides. Although the Cheyenne did, at some obscure point in history, actually make such a request, it was never fulfilled--except in this fictionalized story. This book I really enjoyed.

Thanks for the heads up about "These Is My Words". Will look into that one.
I have "One Thousand White Women" on my shelf, but have yet to read. I have heard from a friend and my sister it is a must read, yet there it sits for at least a couple of years now. Maybe this will motivate me to read it.

I am now reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker Freesia View Post
I remember "Of Mice and Men" too, like you I can't remember whether I've read the book or and saw the film.. We had the assignment on this decades ago when I was in High School. I can remember Lenny would carry around a dead mouse in his pant pockets.
Even after reading it, I still can't figure out if I read it before! lol! There were parts that weren't familiar but then I couldn't really picture any actors as those characters. At least now I know I have read it for sure. I'm planning at some point to re-read "The Grapes of Wrath". That one I know I both read and saw the movie in college.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I have "One Thousand White Women" on my shelf, but have yet to read. I have heard from a friend and my sister it is a must read, yet there it sits for at least a couple of years now. Maybe this will motivate me to read it.
One Thousand White Women is so completely NOT my type of book... and I absolutely LOVED it.

I don't think you'll regret reading it. It's pretty terrific.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I don't know that I liked One Thousand White Women, but I think it would be a great book for Book Club.

I'm 20 pages short of finishing The Fall of Giants. It sucked me in on page 1 & hasn't let up since. I love the expanse of it, it gives me a clear picture of the WWI events in Wales, Britian, & Russia. For having so many charachters, I was surprised to know each one so well. I'm looking forward to the next.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 PM

251 posts, read 571,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The Total Money Makeover, Dave Ramsey

Financial Peace Revisited, Dave Ramsey

Psalms

Bible

Technically I am almost done with The Total Money Makeover (just a few pages left), then I will start one of the other Dave Ramsey books I have on my Kindle.

currently reading The Cross and the Switchblade.
I don't know why it's taken me so dang long. I started it last night and only have a few chapters to go. I would have finished it last night, but that whole sleep thing interrupted me

Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
One Thousand White Women is so completely NOT my type of book... and I absolutely LOVED it.

I don't think you'll regret reading it. It's pretty terrific.
More incentive for me to read it - especially if you LOVED it and it's not your type of book. Maybe I'll go with that one next. I'm not big on reading the same author more than one or two books in a row, so I probably won't read the next Girl book right away after I finished the first.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:56 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
I just finished Before I Go To Sleep. Thrillers usually aren't my thing, but I decided to try it since it got rave critical and popular reviews. Ugh! Not thrilling. Not well written. Tedious both due to the writing and subject matter. I even guessed the ending.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:40 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
Ranchero, a crime novel by Rick Gavin that takes place in the Mississippi Delta country. A repo man gets whacked over the head trying collect money on a flat screen TV and that starts off a pursuit through the Mississippi Delta in search of the escaped fugitive. Lots of fun interesting characters so far and interesting descriptions of the area.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Default Philip Carter's "Altar of Bones"

I picked this up from the library's Choice Reads Paperback display and my husband read it first, while I was finishing another book. He raved about how great it was, but we don't always have the same reading tastes so I was hesitant.

He was right on. This is a very fast-paced story with likable good characters, lots of twists and turns, and not so scary that I had to stop reading. No gratuitous graphic gore, just -- well, thrilling. There's also some romance, but not enough to put off my husband, so not much at all.

I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books