Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 04:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Somewhat back to reading mode happy to report-- just finished Rules of Civility which I enjoyed. Not sure if I followed everything but it was a very good read.(very well written- you could swear you are reading from the 30's or Fizgerald.
Next in the pile is OMNIVORE's DILEMNA.
Great news! It really hurts not to be able to read, I know.

Rules of Civility is on my "to read" list -- I'm on the library's waiting list for the Kindle version. I'm glad to hear that it's good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Default Anne Rivers Siddons' "Burnt Mountain"

Bittersweet, funny, sad story about a young woman's childhood with a self-absorbed mother, her father's early death, and the men she loved, and lost.

Definitely romance. Nice story, well executed, but not really one I can recommend.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 AM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
Day After Night by Anita Diamant. It's based on a true story about four women who have survived the Holocaust after WWII.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:42 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Great news! It really hurts not to be able to read, I know.

Rules of Civility is on my "to read" list -- I'm on the library's waiting list for the Kindle version. I'm glad to hear that it's good.
I'm a cheerleader for this one.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm a cheerleader for this one.
YAY!!! I'm doubly looking forward to it now! I'm low down on the waiting list for the Kindle library version, but I have a lot of other books to keep me patient.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I have no idea what this book is about but I can say that I would buy it just for the cover. I love the cover.
I have this on hold at the library. It's the March choice for my book group. I read a summary and it's not something I would have wanted to read, but I'm keeping an open mind. I have read a couple of books because of my membership in this group that I would never have chosen on my own that were really good. But I've also read quite a few that were real groaners. We'll see...

Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
Day After Night by Anita Diamant. It's based on a true story about four women who have survived the Holocaust after WWII.
Thank you for mentioning this book. The book has led me to The Red Tent by the same author. I look forward to reading both of them.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:11 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,169 times
Here's what I started reading this week:

The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton

Look me in the Eye (book about Asperger's) by John Elder Robison

The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall

Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM

I finished Arthur & George by Julian Barnes. What a delicious book. It's based on a true story -- George's incarceration and Arthur's quest to clear George's name is the core of tale, even though that only happens more than half way through the book -- but the character development leading up to the start of that story is magnificent.

I'm now going to read a biography on the Duchess of Windsor, that nasty skank Wallis Simpson.

I've always been a bit curious about her but then, after seeing the movie The King's Speech, I wanted to know more. I'm not going to hate her for falling in love with the king, but I know that she had many social interactions with Hitler, and that's bound to tick me off.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:12 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
I'm reading The 12th Enchantment by David Liss. I have absolutely loved everything he has written! He beautifully writes historical fiction. He obviously steeps himself in both primary and secondary sources, and through wonderful storytelling enables his readers to learn about not only a specific period in history but also about larger issues that affect us today. From The Coffee Trader I not only learned about life in Holland in the 17th century, but also about the importance of commodity markets in the world economy. From The Whiskey Rebels I learned not only about Westward expansion in 18th century America but also about the impact of Federalism on individuals. I'm not done with 12th Enchantment yet, but it seems to be not only about the beginnings of the industrial revolution in early 18th century England but also about the long term impact of industrialization on the environment. This book had really mixed reviews and I wasn't sure if I would like it, but as someone who enjoys regency romances I can absolutely say this book works on that level, too! I'm loving it. Finally, just want to say, for a male writer he is unusually good at creating fully rounded beleivable female characters. What a good author he is!

For those of you who've read The Lonely Polygamist, can you explain to me why or if you liked it? I got so bored that I quit in the middle - and that's really rare for me. It just seemed like another episode of "Big Love".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books