Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times

Advertisements

I started THE OMNIVORE's DILEMNA by Michael Pollan- and I am surrpised that I have not seen it mentioned here before. I think it's about 5 yrs old or so and I have heard of it before and decided to seek it out.
I am only like 50 pages into it, and I think it's really quite something. So I am mentioning it here as I think that several of you would enjoy it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014...d_i=1594200823
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I'm really not liking the Duchess of Windsor biography. It's just so "this happened" and "then that happened." Feh. I guess I know enough -- she snagged the king and the king had to abdicate. If there's any more to the story that I should know, please tell me.

I'm going to start The Importance of Being Earnest (Oscar Wilde) tonight. I know it's a play, rather than a book, so the lack of filler might throw me for a loop, but I'll try it. There's a line in there that I heard elsewhere, that I just love, about how losing both parents was just clumsy. Or careless. I don't remember the word, but the line is brilliant and I figured that I should finally read the whole thing. I got it for free on my Kindle.

Ah, here's the line:

To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune. To lose both looks like carelessness.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:48 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. I had another William Faulkner novel waiting for me, but somehow when I moved to a new apartment the other day I lost it.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:55 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Into bios for some reason!

Now:
Van Gogh, by Steven Naifeh and Gregory W Smith. Large, new tome on life of painter Vincent Van Gogh

Next:
New bio of Desmond Tutu...

Recently...New bio of singer Carly Simon

Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm really not liking the Duchess of Windsor biography. It's just so "this happened" and "then that happened." Feh. I guess I know enough -- she snagged the king and the king had to abdicate. If there's any more to the story that I should know, please tell me.

I'm going to start The Importance of Being Earnest (Oscar Wilde) tonight. I know it's a play, rather than a book, so the lack of filler might throw me for a loop, but I'll try it. There's a line in there that I heard elsewhere, that I just love, about how losing both parents was just clumsy. Or careless. I don't remember the word, but the line is brilliant and I figured that I should finally read the whole thing. I got it for free on my Kindle.

Ah, here's the line:

To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune. To lose both looks like carelessness.
Aaaaaaand, I'm either in a mood or the play isn't working out for me or both... I'm now reading Everybody Was So Young by Amanda Vaill. It's about Sara and Gerald Murphy. They were friends with the Fitzgeralds, the Hemingways, and all the literature and art folk of the 1920s. So far, so good... but it's early pages yet.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
I'm halfway through Catherine the Great and still impressed with the writing and it's a compelling story. Another non-fiction I'm reading is Eisenhower.
I couldn't resist finishingBelow Stairs. The servants of Upstairs Downstairs and Downton Place lived in luxury compared to Margaret Powell's life as a kitchen maid.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
While browsing non-fiction at the library, I stumbled across No Biking in the House Without a Helmet by Melissa Fay Green. I figured I'd read it -eventually- but I wasn't in a hurry. Although I am always recommending There is No Me Without You to everyone I know interested in adoption or Africa. And, I figured that a book by her would have a long list of people waiting for it.

I can't put it down. It is hysterical! Of course, it has a LOT of adoption stuff that I am relating to, but I think anyone with a family would be laughing!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Another good one to read is The Woman He Loved. I read that years ago. Nonfiction. Very good.
I read that book, too......also many years ago. Very few men could give up as much as he did for love.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:54 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
I picked up Tucker Max's Hilarity Ensues on Thursday. I'm about 200 pages in right now and it's definitely been a great read.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
I am reading "One Thousand White Women" finally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books