Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 08:25 AM

5,585 posts, read 984,372 times

Advertisements

Finished reading Anne of Green Gables, now I'm reading another Love Inspired book The Carpenter & his wife. It is a who know type of book, is it going to be good or just blase kind of book. I'll soon find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 AM

443 posts, read 564,704 times
I am enjoying Tuesday Night Miracles by Kris Radish!
Tuesday Night Miracles: A Novel by Kris Radish - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Old 02-11-2012, 08:45 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Revenge of the Dwarves by Markus Heitz. Very good for everybody who loves Tolkien!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:52 AM

352 posts, read 1,004,072 times
The Concept of Anxiety by Søren Kierkegaard

Old 02-12-2012, 06:16 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
Something a little more offbeat

A Supremely Bad Idea (Three Mad Birders and Their Quest to See It All)

I recently read Kingbird Highway and The Big Year books so thought I would read this too.

This is a little more comic which I'm enjoying though other reviewers haven't (a bird watcher using the f word! I suppose in some ways its not written as well as other books but that's ok
Essentially a man (narrator) and two friends who travel to different locations to bird with its attendant disappointments when birds are missed, joys when they are not, observations on different kids of birders.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 AM

74 posts, read 72,974 times
Am bummed that I didn't get Jayber Crow for Christmas, interested in it because of this thread. Now, I'm really intrigued by so many people loving and reading One Thousand White Women. I just finished Daily Life in Renaissance Italy for research purposes and am still into A Westerly Trend - very entertaining!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:05 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
While reading novels, I've also been reading some short stories by Tennessee Williams. If that man ever wrote a happy ending I haven't seen it yet.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:12 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
[quote=DandJ;22894548]I finished Arthur & George by Julian Barnes. What a delicious book. It's based on a true story -- George's incarceration and Arthur's quest to clear George's name is the core of tale, even though that only happens more than half way through the book -- but the character development leading up to the start of that story is magnificent.

I'm now going to read a biography on the Duchess of Windsor, that nasty skank Wallis Simpson.

I read your post and when I was at the library yesterday decided to look at those books by Julian Barnes who I had never heard of. The books look great- so I made a note of them (there was also one, England, England that looked good). I now have more books on my to be read list than I can tackle, but it's always nice to have some in reserve..... so thanks for mentioning these.

I am going to plug again Omnivore's Dilemma( I guess I have been mis-spelling it) - this book is mind blowing. (and now I up to about page 110

Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM

840 posts, read 781,097 times
Started Hunger Games last night. Good so far.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:53 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
Am bummed that I didn't get Jayber Crow for Christmas, interested in it because of this thread. Now, I'm really intrigued by so many people loving and reading One Thousand White Women. I just finished Daily Life in Renaissance Italy for research purposes and am still into A Westerly Trend - very entertaining!
Oh, I loved Jaybar Crow. I read it a couple of years ago. It is fantastic. You can't second guess the unfolding story. It's an older book but it is so fresh.

I really enjoyed One Thousand White Women. I knew going into it that it was a work of fiction but kept forgetting that it was. The story and the characters were so real to me. It's another one that I could not second guess so I just let in unfold in all its glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books