Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,750,079 times

Advertisements

I'm reading Time To Be In Earnest by P.D. James ~ Time to be in Earnest - P. D. James - Google Books

"James decided to record feelings and observations about her world from her 77th to her 78th birthday. She wanted to capture the events, thoughts, and emotions of one year not only for her family but also as a record for herself. Much more than an account of day-to-day events though, she gives brief insights into what it was like to grow up in wartime England, her ideas about authors and the craft of writing, and the changes in the treatment of women."

P.D. James one of my favourite living authors; I'm currently rereading all of her books. She's never sensationalist or tawdry, but has a classical style of writing.
She never disappoints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:05 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,153,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I'm reading Time To Be In Earnest by P.D. James ~ Time to be in Earnest - P. D. James - Google Books

"James decided to record feelings and observations about her world from her 77th to her 78th birthday. She wanted to capture the events, thoughts, and emotions of one year not only for her family but also as a record for herself. Much more than an account of day-to-day events though, she gives brief insights into what it was like to grow up in wartime England, her ideas about authors and the craft of writing, and the changes in the treatment of women."

P.D. James one of my favourite living authors; I'm currently rereading all of her books. She's never sensationalist or tawdry, but has a classical style of writing.
She never disappoints.
I agree with you - I love her books! I'm in a "British mystery" phase right now anyway, and she and Ruth Rendell are my current favorite authors. I mentioned to a friend that (especially with Rendell) - these two are a couple of warped old ladies! (And I mean that in a good way )

I haven't yet read Time To Be In Earnest, but it's on my list.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,709,053 times
Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 PM

Default P.D. James

Here's a nice interview/piece on her from 2010: P.D. James solves the mystery of living a full life - USATODAY.com

Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I agree with you - I love her books! I'm in a "British mystery" phase right now anyway, and she and Ruth Rendell are my current favorite authors. I mentioned to a friend that (especially with Rendell) - these two are a couple of warped old ladies! (And I mean that in a good way )

I haven't yet read Time To Be In Earnest, but it's on my list.
Do you know, I've never read her. . .hmmmm, I need to go lookin' at the library.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,153,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Here's a nice interview/piece on her from 2010: P.D. James solves the mystery of living a full life - USATODAY.com
Loved this! Thanks for sharing. I noticed that her new book Death Comes To Pemberley is now on the N.Y. Times Bestseller list. This must be the book she was working on when this article was published. Sounds intriguing...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/bo...pagewanted=all

Old 02-13-2012, 05:35 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,793,037 times
Pamela Carter Joern's "The Floor of the Sky". A rather blah novel, not very vivid prose, shuffling through the overworked plot device of grandmother/granddaughter back at the family homestead. Good enough to read, and mercifully short, but not great. Won an Alex Award in 2007, which means suitable for under-18 readers.

Last week, I finished Michael Lewis' "Moneyball", which is by far the best non-fiction baseball book I've ever read. It is not condescending to baseball fans, and if you know next to nothing about baseball, this may fly over your head. Lewis is an excellent writer, who has written highly-acclaimed books about other non-sports related financial and economic principles.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM

438 posts, read 945,747 times
Right now I'm reading a book called Raptor by Gary Jennings. It's a sort of fantasy/historical fiction dealio involving Germanic hermaphrodites. Yup.
Someone bought Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for me for my bday, so that's next on my list.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 AM

10 posts, read 10,610 times
Reading a new novel by Dave Barry! It's really got me laughing. Called Lunatics, written with Alan Zweibel.

I also agree about the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum numbered book series, although the first four are clearly the best. I think there about 18 now.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,811,868 times
I just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King, and it was pretty much OK. As I've mentioned in other threads, he seems -- to me -- to be a "kindler, gentler" author after his accident a few years back. This was actually very much a love story, with a somewhat surprising ending, and I enjoyed it.

Prior to that, I read Dean Koontz' 77 Shadow Street, which was less satisfying. It was rather convoluted and the ending made no sense at all. The best part was a note at the back of the book that his next "Odd Thomas" book is in the works. However, looking at his website, the book is apparently a "graphic novel," so I'm not sure I'm going to be feeling the love on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books