Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 03:13 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,361,860 times

Advertisements

One Day by David Nicholls. Got it recommended on amazon. Quite good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,236,671 times
Just Kids by Patti Smith

One of the best books I've read in a really long time. If you are interested in music, art and literature this book is definitely for you. It chronicles her early years in NYC and her relationship with the late artist, Robert Maplethorp.

Here's a NY Times review
Book Review - 'Just Kids,' by Patti Smith - NYTimes.com

Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 AM

840 posts, read 778,281 times
Finished Kill Shot last night. Have to say it was my favorite Vince Flynn book so far. Probably going to start American Psycho tonight.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,209,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Just Kids by Patti Smith

One of the best books I've read in a really long time. If you are interested in music, art and literature this book is definitely for you. It chronicles her early years in NYC and her relationship with the late artist, Robert Maplethorp.

Here's a NY Times review
Book Review - 'Just Kids,' by Patti Smith - NYTimes.com
Oh, I loved that book sooooo much.

I didn't even know who Patti Smith was until folks in this forum were raving about the book. It truly is a delight. It still haunts me but in a good way.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:15 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,443,293 times
I've just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

Wow, what a book. I could not put it down and although the story is terrible in many ways I found the book very lyrical at times and extremely moving.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM

840 posts, read 778,281 times
Thinking about starting White Cargo: The forgotten history of Britain's white slaves in America.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Default Jim Harrison's "Returning to Earth"

I haven't read Jim Harrison's work since "Legends of the Fall" and "The English Major" -- both stellar works, and I cannot say that "Returning to Earth" packs the same punch that those two works did, IMO, but it is still worthy of reading.

I really don't know why I haven't made it a point to read all his works. His character development, plotting, and general story delivery are exceptional.

This is not "chic lit" and doesn't fit into any real category other than a good story that touches the heart and plays on the mind long after the last page is finished.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:30 AM

7,236 posts, read 9,209,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I haven't read Jim Harrison's work since "Legends of the Fall" and "The English Major" -- both stellar works, and I cannot say that "Returning to Earth" packs the same punch that those two works did, IMO, but it is still worthy of reading.

I really don't know why I haven't made it a point to read all his works. His character development, plotting, and general story delivery are exceptional.

This is not "chic lit" and doesn't fit into any real category other than a good story that touches the heart and plays on the mind long after the last page is finished.
Jim Harrison is a great writer - he's also my husband's favourite writer. We have most of his books, including Returning to Earth.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,817,193 times
I just finished A PRISONER OF BIRTH by Jeffrey Archer. Archer is one of the best contemporary story tellers on the planet in my opinion. My only difficulty in reading him is his use of English/British terms that I don't always understand. I made a trip to the library earlier this week and I have two more of his works to be read. Since there is a rain delay in the Daytona 500 right now I may get a good start on the short story collection CAT O' NINE TALES and later PATHS OF GLORY.
GL2

Old 02-26-2012, 03:40 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,985,972 times
The Short Stories of John Cheever. So far I've read The Five Forty-Eight, The Swimmer, and a couple of others.

The first stories I mentioned were made into movies. The Swimmer, according to Internet Movie Database (IMDB), was Burt Lancaster's favorite role. He played the main character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books