Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,648,252 times

Advertisements

Taking a break from bios with Nelson DeMille's
The Lion's Game.

The man is a genius fiction writer, every one of his books I have read (that is eight!) have been a cannot-put-it-down type. Very clever, fast-paced, intriguing and at times, even laugh-out-loud funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM

840 posts, read 777,110 times
Enemies foreign and domestic. Needed a break from the trilogy just restarted reading the 3rd and final book last night good stuff...

Old 02-27-2012, 10:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
There But For The (by Ali Smith)

Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
The Short Stories of John Cheever. So far I've read The Five Forty-Eight, The Swimmer, and a couple of others.

The first stories I mentioned were made into movies. The Swimmer, according to Internet Movie Database (IMDB), was Burt Lancaster's favorite role. He played the main character.
Pulitzer Prize winning book. Cheever really captured the human condition.

The Swimmer just about did me in. The ending was so unexpected. It is amazing how that story stays with me. The book is 34 years old and applies today just as it did back then.

It is a truly great book.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:15 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,877,394 times
I've just started reading True Grit by Charles Portis. It was shoved into my hands by another writer, so I started reading it out of a sense of obligation. Man, this is an unexpected pleasure.

Here I thought I would be reading an oater. Instead, it's an incredibly funny and well-written book. The dialog is astoundingly good. Told from the perspective of Mattie, I can remember few books that do so well at getting inside the head of a character.

I don't bandy the word Classic about lightly, but I think this might be one that deserves the honor. An overlooked one, perhaps (Snobbery?), but one that deserves a mention.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Taking a break from bios with Nelson DeMille's
The Lion's Game.

The man is a genius fiction writer, every one of his books I have read (that is eight!) have been a cannot-put-it-down type. Very clever, fast-paced, intriguing and at times, even laugh-out-loud funny.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that book. It was so exciting. I like most of DeMille's books and The Lion's Game is probably my favorite.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,354,310 times
After having read quite a few recommendations for The Hunger Games I ordered the trilogy on Amazon.
Read the first volume in 3 days over the weekend (and I don't have time at all to read on weekends what with two small kids and DH being at home only on weekends that means every single free minute was invested in this book).
Very gripping and suspenseful, a true page-turner, couldn't put it down and read till 1 in the morning which I do only with very good books.

Now I'm 100 pages deep into the second volume and hope it'll be as good as the first.

I read that it'll be released as a movie by the end of March. Will watch it just to see what they made of all the outfits, hairstyles, skincolors etc they mention in the book.

And - just because it is written from the view point of a 16 year old girl - I don't think it's only a book for teenagers.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
I finished There But For The by Ali Smith. Uhhh, what can I say? It was weird and weirdly written. Not a book that I'd recommend to anyone whose tastes I know on this forum.

Tonight I'm going to start on Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. I'm looking forward to this one.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,569,663 times
I've been in the book doldrums for a while. I reread Little Women by Louisa May Alcott which was fine and then Emma by Jane Austen. Didn't enjoy Emma as much as Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility, but it was ok.

I'm now reading State of Wonder by Ann Patchett and am enjoying it a lot. Bel Canto is my favorite of hers, but this one is interesting and well-written. I find myself trying to sneak in a few pages or reading here and there when I'm at home, which is always a good sign.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
I'm reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The Wise Man's Fear kept popping up on recommendations in Amazon, and I kept seeing it in bookstores and when I finally caved, I saw that it was a sequel to The Name of the Wind, so that's first.

It is a very thick book, which I do like. It's disappointing to me to find a story I love and have the book come to an end too quickly. I don't know yet if I love this book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books